• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The "why" about VORs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMillar

Why is it, that VORs are set up the way they are? I'm not (yet) a pilot far less instrument rated, so I don't really understand it all that well (not having seen one working "in the flesh"), but it seems wierd to me.

As I understand it, you set the angle from the station to you that you want to achieve (radial), and then fly on a course that intersects that radial. You know when you reach it from the movement of the needle. Then you follow the course, adjusted for wind. If you need an intersection, you aim to hit one of them so you know which side of the other one you're on, and then follow it to the intersection.

On the other hand, why not set up the dial to actually read out the radial you're CURRENTLY intercepting? With a "bug" to mark what you're aiming for? Would make it a lot easier to know where you are, in my opinion. I suppose you could do the same thing by just setting the dial till the needle centers, but why should you have to?

I know it doesn't really classify as homebuilt-related, but if this makes sense, my airplane will have one of my own design :D.

Back