• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The WEDGIE A Foam / Composite Sandwich Design Need Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifted1

Hello

I am in need of suggestions and assitance with these two aircraft designs. These designs were conceived with simplicity of build in mind. I'd like to focus on the "Wedgie" first and then when its viable carry over whats been gained in knowledge to the "Prizm". Both aircraft will share the same wing and overall build methodology.

I envision the design to be .pdf available and transferred to large full size printed tiles that can be laid out to fabricate patterns of formica. These formica patterns could then be shared via parcel post anywhere to further minimize cost.

A truly "Open Source" plane concept that is within the grasp of cost and construction to the average person. Engine to be determined although its looking like a VW or BMW boxer at this point.

I need assistance in structural design of the wings and wing attach points to the fuselage. I like how the Jodel's main spar provides the overall strength fused permanently to the cockpit area??

The leading edge will be solid foam. Im thinking a spruce main spar "booms" consisting of upper and lower spars cut with a v into them to save weight and then joined with foam block to make a solid spar?? 3/32 basswood webbing and if needed fabric wrapped and glassed in some areas??? Im thinking the ladder structure between front and rear spars could be carbon/composite golf shafts and the airfoil made up of foam ribs with foam sheeting and then glassed ala M19 Squirrel style. I'd like for light aerobatics to be achievable

The fuselage would be simple layout cut with hotwire. Bulkheads cut out same way and then glass sandwiched. entire fuse would be glassed at end

empanage would be mostly foam with spruce spars where needed braced with composite carbon golf shafts within where required.

Am i crazy or can this be done?

Last edited:
Back