HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Starman

The loudest, most powerful sounding plane on Earth:

[video=youtube_share;Yry2LnaNeXc]http://youtu.be/Yry2LnaNeXc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;YzdtYU7i_jY]http://youtu.be/YzdtYU7i_jY[/video]

[video=youtube_share;3WL46N60ZWI]http://youtu.be/3WL46N60ZWI[/video]

Aerowerx

I thought a B-36 was the loudest plane, although there are currently none flyable.

From what I have read it could be heard on the ground when cruising at altitude.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
That Vulcan takeoff was impressive. But I think the Space Shuttle was the loudest plane on earth.

TFF

The Shuttle would technically get it but with no calling for the option passes over the runway, it gets disqualified;X15 too. If you want the sound for your homebuilt, there should be plenty of engines available since the Concord is grounded. All those straight jets from that period are loud. I bet the loudest idling engine is the T-37's.

Starman

I thought a B-36 was the loudest plane, although there are currently none flyable.

From what I have read it could be heard on the ground when cruising at altitude.
The B-36 might have had higher DB or been louder at altitude but the sound would be prop sound, choppy little sonic shocks. In my opinion the straight jet howl of the Vulcan sounds the most powerful of any aircraft (not rocket).

Dan Thomas

What about the XF-84H?
Probably. The Thunderscreech. When running on the ground in could be heard ten miles away.

WHen I first saw the Vulcan, at Abbottsford in 1967, you could stand 2000 people in the shade under its wings. The bomb bay was big enough to hold a mobile home of the time (12 x 68) or so they said. It was known as the Aluminum Overcast.

Dan

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
A B-52 crashed doing that past 90° bank maneuver at Spokane.
Apparently the pilot didn't know his spoiler roll control didn't work when the wing isn't lifting.

HapHazard

Who cares which is louder??? They are **** well hard on the ears in real life in my books! I remember when I was doing my commercials, Concorde flew into Bournmouth, and we got to see it from pretty close up from the taxiway as she went off....on full afterburner! Kind of felt like someone had hit you in the chest! God knows what the Thunderskeeches were like then! BTW, at one stage the Titan rocket was the biggest controlled explosion in the world, so I guess the shuttle out did that! Lastly, the Vulcan was one impressive bit of kit in my books, thats when Britain could really build aircraft! I am amazed that they were successful at getting this one back in the air.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I used to watch one or more Vulcans doing the pattern at March Air Force Base in Riverside, California and I don't recall them being overly loud. The resident B-52's seemed much louder.