The United Parcel Service

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
My Fellow HBA Member,

I bought an engine from a gentleman in Arkansas. It is an HKS 700E. Both the seller and myself made a point to document every single step of the sale and transfer to include the chain of custody.

He took pictures of the crate that he made himself, also took pictures of the contents, made a manifest, and finally sent me a picture of the crate totally enclosed with shipping label attached. He also insured the contents for the price of what I paid for the engine. I was just as pleased as punch and waited excitedly as a kid for Santa Clause for my new engine to arrive.

The shipper and I both would comment on where it was in transit according to what location it was last scanned into by U.P.S. All was going well until it arrived at the Jackson, MS hub. The engine sat there for nearly a week as it was supposed to be on it's way to Louisiana where I reside. After three days, the shipper tries endlessly to get into contact with an actual human be3ing. He finally speaks with someone form their customer service department which is located in Cairo, Egypt. At first the engine was lost and then told, in the same conversation that it was stolen.

The next thing the tracking number showed that it had been damaged. So one could imagine the disgust I am experiencing. Before we discover the damaged report which was two days later after his Cairo, Egypt conversation, I began researching and discovered they are headquartered in Atlanta. I was able to find the personal contact information of the C.E.O. for U.P.S., Mrs. Carol Tome'.
Don't ask me how I acquired her contact information but I was able to.

On one of the longer shots I have taken in my life I sent her an email totally thinking she would never respond to a commoner like myself. I was wrong. I explained to her the value of the contents and went on to explain to her that I was not a wealthy man and could not afford to loose this cargo. I also explained it was for an aircraft I was building to fulfill a life long dream of building and flying my on airplane.

She felt sympathy for my situation and informed me that she would have her president of customer service, Mr. Roger Brown, contact me in short order. Mr. Brown did indeed contact me and informed me that he would be handling the recovery or recuperation of money lost on the engine. At this point my faith in humanity had been somewhat restored. I was never going to be happy until what I paid for was at my door step safe and sound and in the condition of which it was shipped. I also sent Mr. Brown every single bit of documentation that both the shipper and myself had accumulated. No stone was left unturned.

Mr. Brown then tells me that he will be contacting me back shortly with some information.

Waiting as patiently as I can, he then informs me that the package had indeed been damaged and that it had been sent to Kansas City. He said that the engine should be at my house no later than two business days. The engine arrived on the second day minus the nearly three thousand dollars worth of items needed to make the engine work. Items such as the oil cooler, oil tank, CDI boxes, ignition coils and others The crate that it was shipped inside of was not what my engine was delivered in. It was a shoddily put together cardboard box and when I opened the box the engine was beat all to hell.

I made sure to take pictures before I ever touche3d the box and than documented every detail for the record. I will post the entire evidence so everyone can see what I am trying to explain.

Long story short, the shipper gets a letter from Crawford & Company that respectfully denied our claim after a careful investigation on the package. Clearly the y did no such investigation because if they had they would be asking me where to send the check.

The shipper then responded by sending the documentation we had both collected and proceeded to inform them that if this was not handled the right way that Attorneys would be in touch. Their claims representative said that he would review the documentation and let us know something soon. This was yesterday that he told us this. So I we are waiting for a reply as I type this.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? If so, how did you handle it?

Thanks to all for taking time to read and reply. You opinion is highly valued and appreciated.

-Yellowhammer

Turd Ferguson

Supporting Member
I did contract UPS air and kinda know how the contract stuff works. Their ground service uses a lot of contract carriers. The package was dropped breaking the crate open. (It may have been close to destination when that happened). The main part was scooped up and labeled as "overgoods" which is what they call stuff that falls out of a package. The crate and loose items were probably discarded. Then it had to go to an overgoods location and someone recognized there was damage so it was then damaged overgoods. They did their CYA documenting and sent you the remains.
I hate to say it but if they don't give you any satisfaction, you'll have to get a lawyer.

Derswede

Similar. But with Fedex. Was told that it was not properly packed, and that they assume no responsibility. Fortunately, I had shipped it from a FedEx airport facility attached to the Greensboro, NC Fedex office/ship point. A manager had signed off the shipment and agreed it was properly packed. It took 3 months for them to deliver a motor 900 miles, and it was so badly destroyed that my customer took photos of it sitting on the FedEx truck. One year almost to the day, I finally received a check for the insured value. They would NOT refund my ship costs. Only company I have had good luck with are the 3 Ducks....Dewey, Huey and Louie. DHL.
Derswede

reo12

I purchased a Cuyuna ULII-02 some years ago. The seller made a crate out of 3/4" plywood. The crate weighed in at over 70 lbs. It made the shipment overweight. So - he removed the lid and replaced it with cardboard. The crate had 2 cleats for feet so that a hand truck could be easily be used to move the crate. It was labeled on all 4 sides and top as to what orientation was up.
What the seller did not do was bolt the engine to the bottom of the crate. Instead he simply dumped some shredded paper around it and stapled a single ply cardboard top in place.
When it arrived - the 10+ year veteran female UPS driver - was in an unusually big hurry for me to sign for the package and left before I could even look at the crate to see why the cardboard lid was damaged. I found out why. Something had happened to it. It had broken the EGT probes off and actually bent the exhaust Y pipe. It was obvious that the crate had been inverted and impacted a hard surface. Shredded paper packing was certainly not up to the task of protecting the engine from such an event. Some of the staples holding the cardboard lid in place had pulled out and a crude attempt had been made to get them inserted back into the wood
When I caught up with the driver the next day - it was obvious that she had known that something happened to the shipment - mentioning that it was so heavy and fell over - but claimed I couldn't do anything because I had signed for the package. She indicated that she had placed it in the truck on it's side to make room for other packages and had fallen over when she made a turn. I suspect it had been on the lower shelf when it fell down the the truck floor.
I took that one in the behind.
I worked for a company who made automotive differentials. We shipped them all the time. But - we didn't expect shredded paper or foam peanuts to protect a 50 to 70 lb component. We used high density instant foam packing. I've suggested in years gone by that a packer should try to make the box multi wall. As soon as a flimsy cardboard box bangs around on the package transport conveyors - it's corners and edges get rounded and the package can often start tumbling on the inclined conveyors - smashing the contents - particularly if the tumbling package falls off the conveyor to the concrete floor easily 10's of feet below. If the shipper doesn't have access to proper crates, dual or tri-wall cardboard and instant pack foam - the item can be wrapped in paper or plastic - then canned polyurethane foam (not low expansion latex) used to fill all of the open space and bond the box to the foam. A process best done in stages to prevent over filling the box and breaking it open.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

I had a run-in with a major courier last year. Not airplane parts but exceptionally time-critical genetic samples being kept cold by a boil-off liquid nitrogen system. They managed to lose it and didn’t care too much about finding it until they realized I wasn’t going to leave them alone until it was located and in my possession.

I understand things do happen, but I kept being told that they take pride in their 99.99% delivery success rate. That’s all fine and good but that still leaves something like ten million failures a year. Might be time to look at solving those.

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Back in the bad old days, before Amazon/etc and instant gratification existed, if you needed something today you'd ship 'air freight'; literally tendering the package to an airline at the airport, and the person at the other end would pick it up at their airport. For big stuff, it wasn't as expensive as you might think.

If you needed it tomorrow or the day after, it went to the bus station (Greyhound or Trailways, depending on compass heading of the destination). Again, nowhere near as expensive as you might think. My family used it in 1964, when we were about 2 hours into a 3 week car trip in the middle of almost nowhere, and a piece of a transport truck fell off and holed our gas tank. New tank came via bus, and we only lost 2 days total on the trip.

Might be worth a look for future shipping. The bus company will haul a full size human (no weight limit) in air conditioned, wifi comfort from New Orleans to Chicago for less than $150, if you plan a few days ahead for a ticket. They still do freight too, so....

blane.c

Supporting Member
Sounds like you were robbed by an employee of the company, then Oh lookie here it is right here after questions were raised. They will be covering there tracks and someone is aiding them for some reason. Good luck with legal means.

billyvray

At work I've had an order of extruder parts (screw, barrel, infeed, etc) get damaged not once, but twice during shipping, resulting in a complete replacement, twice. Over $100k worth of parts. And the delay by the shipping company to find and finally get claims handled has taken 1.5 years.

Tom Nalevanko

I once bought an expensive folding mountain bike that was shipped in original packaging and was damaged bu UPS. A part was bent which must have taken very considerable force as in a conveyor belt snag. I had pictures and claimed reimbursement—denied. The seller had pictures of the initial condition and claimed reimbursemen—denied. Finally after trying everything the seller talked to his local shipper who intervened and reimbursement was made to the sEllen. The guy was honest and sent me a check which more than covered damages. So this may be an avenue for you?

Once has a UPS driver friend who told me they use a skip loader to pick up broken packages, loose parts at the end of every shift. Like really lots..

Best,

Tom

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Sounds like you were robbed by an employee of the company, then Oh lookie here it is right here after questions were raised. They will be covering there tracks and someone is aiding them for some reason. Good luck with legal means.

Blane,

That is my gut feeling. Exactly as you mentioned it. I heard Jackson is notorious for theft case too. Lesson Learned!

galapoola

Carriers are in the business to make money and paying out on a claim is loosing money. I have to assume they self insure so that money you may have paid to insure is part of their profit and your claim is, again, loosing money. You have to applaud the online retailers who settle quick and with almost no questions asked. To them the future is more important than the few bucks they save today stiffing you.

blane.c

Supporting Member
Blane,

That is my gut feeling. Exactly as you mentioned it. I heard Jackson is notorious for theft case too. Lesson Learned!

Back in my younger days we could of had some fun over this, I am way over the hill now, to bad cause it would have been a lot of fun as I have some serious relatives in that area.
Have you ever heard of "Red Neck Transgender Surgery"?

Daleandee

I met my engine guy in my vehicle halfway between my location & his. I got to see the engine before taking it back to the hangar. That doesn't help you in this case but for others in the future it might be worth considering.

Sad that you are being put upon like this ...😠

TFF

I have a 500 mile radius. A weekend road trip. Might cost a little more but gets me out of the house too. More than 500 miles keeps me from buying everything. No need to go 1800 miles for $1000 widget.

Amazon generated so much need that shippers don’t care like they use too. I had a friend made a living buying un delivered stuff in the 80s; he actually help create a full department for one of the carriers. They use to give him the stuff for free to clear the warehouses. They learned people would buy it from him. The only job I ever walked out on was the same company. Many of my friends work there in all sorts of capacities from running it to sweeping the floors. Pack your stuff good is all I can say for all of them. The last place I worked we would be sending and receiving airplane parts. Mom and pop company. We spent so much on shipping insurance because we couldn’t afford a replacement if it was lost. You could have a bag with $10,000 of bushings in it. Someone had a porch pirate take such a bag. Probably all went in the trash.