The state of our (dying) sport 2022

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

Supporting Member
Kits have gone up I do agree with that not sure it's all material cost the kit manufactures have found demand has risen.
If you ran a manufacturing company, and your backlog of orders was growing, and you were finding it difficult to hire additional skilled employees and you did not want to make large capital investments, you would raise your prices.
Social media has helped in convincing more people that a homebuilt is just as good or better then a certified aircraft.
Regardless of what “social media” has done, and it has done nothing to / for me, homebuilts are better than TC aircraft for the flying that I like to do. Have been as long as I can remember, which is well over 70 years.

BJC

geraldmorrissey

Lots of biplanes for sale at bargain basement prices. Seen a few nice looking ones lately for $20,000 or so. Yes they might need some work, but cheaper then starting from scratch or finishing a project. But the real kicker is they need hangers. In my neighborhood, $750/mos for a 40' wide enclosed T hanger with a 5 year wait list. Closer to city center, $1,500.

addaon

Supporting Member
$75/month here, no waiting list.

But the darn T hangars are two inches too narrow for my tail. (And, practically, about a foot narrower than I would need to comfortably push in on my own.) Outside tiedown it is.

flyby50

Supporting Member
If you ran a manufacturing company, and your backlog of orders was growing, and you were finding it difficult to hire additional skilled employees and you did not want to make large capital investments, you would raise your prices.

Regardless of what “social media” has done, and it has done nothing to / for me, homebuilts are better than TC aircraft for the flying that I like to do. Have been as long as I can remember, which is well over 70 years.

BJC
You realize this forum is online social media? I see you have 15k post :)

Wouldn't you agree this forum has grown over the years and attracted new people to homebuilts?

Bigshu

Supporting Member
You lost me there, Big. We need more people involved, but you limit how much you interact with cadets?

BJC
There's a formal relationship with cadets that is off putting to some seniors. We limit our involvement to flying activities and SAREX missions. We give lots of O-rides, and two of our squadron members participate in the annual flight academy, which takes cadets from zero to solo in a short amount of time. Those cadets are hand picked, and ambitious, so there's little chance of a false accusation, like you see in other organizations. All the cadets I come in contact with, in my wing, and the Blue beret folks at Airventure, are very respectful and formal. This all played out years ago in Boy Scouts, where at summer camp, I couldn't even walk to the trading post with my own son if there wasn't another adult leader or group of scouts and leaders going at the same time. Youth protection is important, training in it is useful and mandatory, but like any other well-intentioned idea, it came be carried to absurd lengths. Nobody asks CFI's to take youth protection classes before they teach under 18 year old students do they? I was under 18 when I started lessons, I doubt my CFI had ever even heard of youth protection protocols.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Some kids are staying home with Mom and Dad, sometimes because of the cost of housing, and sometimes because they have been sheltered too much for too long and can't handle much responsibility.
Yeah but it's unlikely that they'd want to build an airplane if they don't even want to figure out how to get out of the house. Roommates, anyone?

Bigshu

Supporting Member
$75/month here, no waiting list.

But the darn T hangars are two inches too narrow for my tail. (And, practically, about a foot narrower than I would need to comfortably push in on my own.) Outside tiedown it is.
Wow, those are tiny hangars, or you have a big airplane! Our CAP 182 is in a T-hangar at MKC, and it fits fine.

flyby50

Supporting Member
Young people now are having a hard time affording a home, and the ones that do are carrying huge mortgages on them. Some kids are staying home with Mom and Dad, sometimes because of the cost of housing, and sometimes because they have been sheltered too much for too long and can't handle much responsibility. That doesn't help the folks afford an airplane and it doesn't do anything to motivate the kid either. I don't think there will be a lot of 50-year-old Millennials building airplanes. Society has changed.
Homes for young people have always been difficult to buy I didn't buy my first home until I was 28 years old and it was a small tract home I was happy to get out of an apartment. Home prices today mostly inflated by historically low interest rates. Things are changing and market will balance out once buyers dry up prices will come down.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
The 'trick' here is to add power. This raises the legal weight from 155 for a glider to 254 for a 'powered' UL.
A little .049 will suffice whether running or not. Could be electric if you don’t want to sound like an airplane.

If I could find it I would post a photo of me in my Cub Yellow, super light, DC electric, solar powered, VTOL, Roadable Ultralight.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Homes for young people have always been difficult to buy I didn't buy my first home until I was 28 years old and it was a small tract home I was happy to get out of an apartment. Home prices today mostly inflated by historically low interest rates. Things are changing and market will balance out once buyers dry up prices will come down.
I'm not so sure. I keep reading articles about how the housing market is being skewed by all the available houses being bought up by rentiers looking for income properties. Lots of VRBO and Air BnB properties would have been bought as starter homes if not put into the rental market. Plus, builders make more money building McMansions than they do starter homes. So the market only sees upward pressure on prices.

addaon

Supporting Member
The engine (TO-360) has been the expected maintenance nightmare. The comfort level is great. Having Bonanzas and Cirri go by at 10 - 20 kts faster is a totally fair trade off. I’d buy it again, but if I didn’t live at 5k ft I’d definitely go with literally any other engine. If I had the money I’d go with the turbo 114 with the TIO-540; even with the much higher fuel burn the total run cost has got to be lower.

BJC

Supporting Member
You realize this forum is online social media?
No, I did not - thought that facebook, etc., were, but not subject-specific discussion forums.
Wouldn't you agree this forum has grown over the years and attracted new people to homebuilts?
I hope that it has, but I have no actual data.

Thanks for educating me.

BJC

flyby50

Supporting Member
I like facebook groups lot of good aviation stuff I stay clear of the politics not interested in that brings out the worst in people. I follow stagecoach rules no politics, or religion discussion.

What I like about this forum so many good discussions here I'm new to aviation learning a lot while I wish I could afford a RV-8 probably won't ever be able to get there. One of the problems I see with older generation having to deal with the FAA medical if I had gotten that out of the way years ago wouldn't be at their mercy like I am now. I have some obscure medical issues that no comptiant doctor I ever seen thinks it's a problem the FAA knee jerk reaction coupled with the poor communication creates an undue burden on the aviation community. Some find the hassle not worth it while yes have LSA just not that well supported for training, and renting.

geraldmorrissey

geraldmorrissey said:

Without airport fences, every airplane would be covered with graffiti.

Why? They weren't before!

Here in my area, graffiti is a plague. It's everywhere, no surface is immune. There's graffiti on freeway signs that you swear nobody could get to. We are not living in "before".