The state of our (dying) sport 2022

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

gtae07

When I was a kid I did the same thing. Used everything I could get my hands on.
Ever cut the white tips off a lot of matches and ***************************
Not matches, but we used to strip the "stuff" off sparklers, empty out bottle rockets and firecrackers, etc. and blow stuff up that way. I did try making gunpowder using my chemistry set but could never get saltpeter figured out right...

Then 9/11 came along and simple dry ice and water in a 2 liter would practically get the SWAT team called on you (it was the suburbs after all. After twice running from the cops, I got tired of running and diverted my attention elsewhere.

Pops

Supporting Member
Not matches, but we used to strip the "stuff" off sparklers, empty out bottle rockets and firecrackers, etc. and blow stuff up that way. I did try making gunpowder using my chemistry set but could never get saltpeter figured out right...

Then 9/11 came along and simple dry ice and water in a 2 liter would practically get the SWAT team called on you (it was the suburbs after all. After twice running from the cops, I got tired of running and diverted my attention elsewhere.
Haven't seen the old country matches where you could strike anywhere for a long time.

BJC

Supporting Member
I did try making gunpowder using my chemistry set but could never get saltpeter figured out right...
Had a roommate who was a chem lab gofer. Gave him a shopping list. Made powdered fuel for rockets. Was even better for bombs. Had a friend who almost got us in tons of trouble.

BJC

Last edited:
Ever cut the white tips off
Yup. But I was smart enough not to try to stuff them into a spent CO2 cartridge. :eek:

Probably a good thing we didn't play together when we were younger. ;):beer:

I too made rocket motors with home made black powder. Not one of my better thought out projects. I used an old rock tumbler and used brass VW valve guides to grind it - and left the thing running overnight unsupervised. :wonder:

An core burning F size motor with a grain fracture is every bit as impressive as a standard hand grenade. :grave:
No home made JATO for me................

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Yep, I did it, too. All kinds of stuff that would probably get a youth in big trouble today. It wasn't particularly safe, but I didn't blow myself up, so there's that.

Pops

Supporting Member
I was playing with matches when I was 5 years old when my nannie wasn't there and my mother was in the other end of the house and burned the kitchen down. When the kitchen was all on fire, I went to my bedroom and hid under the bed.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
From the post above “I went to my bedroom and hid under the bed.”

My uncle was a fire fighter. He told me the majority of people that die in house fires are found hiding under the bed.

Just saying. Another well known fact is that a majority of deaths occur in beds.

If we were allowed to make political comments here I would expound my political rant. OUTLAW BEDS - they are just too dangerous for the living!

Appowner

Grandfather farmed 100 acres with horses. They earned there keep. I was big for my age as a kid and was plowing with a turn plow and a team of horses when I was 12 years old . Usually raised about 20 acres of corn. Went to a one room school and hated when school ended in the spring. That was plowing and planting time. I feel sorry for a horse that is kept in a stall most of the time. Horse should run wild as much as possible.
Just like me.
l also love horses. Several people that lives close to the airport have riding horses. One friend of my daughters has owned a mule for 18 years . Says that mule has out lived 3 husbands. When she goes by my house on the mule and the mule sees me, it wants to stop and get rubbed. Just a big baby.
:)
Just to be clear Pops, mine was turned out in the morning and brought in at night. Weather permitting she and her 45 or so companions got over 12 hours pasture time each day. She got to run all she wanted. And roll in the mud. We kept her on a commercial horse farm of some 900 acres.

We keep in touch with her current owners. She recently turned 21 and has four girls ages 16 and down who dote on her. Pretty sure she's happy. She's a 1200 pound baby sitter and she loves her job.

Appowner

My cousins and I cut the tips off matches and stuffed them in CO2 cartridges, Took out a window in City Hall. That ended that.

I hollowed out a balsa nose cone to an Honest John model rocket. Fashioned a contact firing pin of sorts with a finishing nail, brass tube to guide it and a primer for a rifle round. Filled the rest of the nose cone with black powder. Fitted the rocket to and launched from a 4 foot piece of PVC pipe ala Bazooka.

Not much of a boom due to the balsa nose and paper body tube. But with a molded fiberglass nose cone and aluminum body tube.................................?

BTW, this was all in the 1960's. Statute of limitations and all that. :)

Hawk81A

From experience that I "heard about" ;), black powder wasn't such a good explosive. Now if one went to a theatrical supply place and got flash powder, there was a much more powerful result. Less than a thimbal of F.P. produced quite a powerful bang. Dennis

Pops

Supporting Member
Just to be clear Pops, mine was turned out in the morning and brought in at night. Weather permitting she and her 45 or so companions got over 12 hours pasture time each day. She got to run all she wanted. And roll in the mud. We kept her on a commercial horse farm of some 900 acres.

We keep in touch with her current owners. She recently turned 21 and has four girls ages 16 and down who dote on her. Pretty sure she's happy. She's a 1200 pound baby sitter and she loves her job.
Yep-- They need their freedom to be a horse. We never had but one horse that I didn't like and that was a pony. Don't even call them horses.

Grandfathers barn was warmer in the winter than the old house. Large enough to walk the horses around in the winter days when its to cold and snowy to be outside.
I can still see the 2 year old wild stallion running and kicking when let out of the barn in the morning.

Bill-Higdon

From experience that I "heard about" ;), black powder wasn't such a good explosive. Now if one went to a theatrical supply place and got flash powder, there was a much more powerful result. Less than a thimbal of F.P. produced quite a powerful bang. Dennis
In my early education I discovered the local colleges library, among other favorites was "The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives", Having a large abandoned gravel pit behind my parents house gave my group lots of room to play safely

Maybe we should get the moderators to change the title of this - well off the track - thread to "The State of our Barely not Killing Ourselves Sport"?
One of the milestones in my young life was getting old enough to get a library card at the local college library. Was quite disappointing to find it had less research material than the county library. :confused:

Pops

Supporting Member
Wife and I have donated at least 2 pickup truck loads of books to the county library in the past. For some reason they keep wanting to live at our house.
Local mini-Cabales has a book exchange table. When I stop and check out their firearm collection I always check the book table.

PS-- From what I hear the best wood for charcoal is the Willow tree.

geraldmorrissey

I hear the same issues from the car guys. Not long ago I was at a custom car show, two teenagers standing next to me were looking at a beautiful 57 Chevy convertable. One said to the other, "my girlfriend wouldn't be cought dead in that thing, let's go look at the Lexus and Audi's". Said alot to me.

BJC

Supporting Member
I hear the same issues from the car guys. Not long ago I was at a custom car show, two teenagers standing next to me were looking at a beautiful 57 Chevy convertable. One said to the other, "my girlfriend wouldn't be cought dead in that thing, let's go look at the Lexus and Audi's". Said alot to me.
They should compare the back seat of that old Chevy to any modern car.

BJC

PMD

Kind of makes you wonder who actually "won" WWII!

My last job that launched my retirement was for the US Government , building bombs . I've crawled around inside the MOAB's and MOPS's prepping for fill . Quite interesting is that when you first get the job you're on needles and pins but in no time ya pay no attention to your surroundings . One of the old timers said , if ya hear the boom you're probably OK if not you're probably OK . Kinda the way it turns out to be . I'm still here . 🐒 :grave:

Pops

Supporting Member
I was in a building that blew up from an acetylene gas leak that filled the elevator shaft. Blew all the sides off the building up to 215' and twisted building steel. I don't remember it. I just woke up latter felling like someone hit me in the head with a sledge hammer.