• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The small Continental thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need some help. I have never built a aircraft engine and I need/want to build one of the small Continentals for the Baby Ace. I have pretty extensive knowledge of personally building small block Chevy engines and motorcycle engines but not these little air cooled Continentals.

I started a VW engine thread and that ended up being a great resource thread. I’d like to do the same here with this thread but also build the Continental from start to finish on this thread as well. Then fly it on my Baby Ace. I think that could be a real asset thread on this forum.

So I was wondering if we could take all the knowledge from the members here condense it in to a real build thread.

How should we start? Maybe with buying a core? What to look for? Best way to buy a core? Or perhaps the difference between the 65 and the 0-200 and the ones in between? What are the reasons a person would choose a 65, 85 or 100 hp? I don’t want to buy one done, I want to go through the process of finding a core and scratch building the engine.

Here’s what I have. I have a budget that can make this doable, and I have a few different A&P’s and engine machinists locally that can help with the work if needed.

So, anyone want to start dumping your decades of knowledge on this thread that will last for many years to come?

Also, if you don’t have Continental knowledge maybe you can start by asking questions for your homebuilt that needs one?

All I ask is to refrain from bashing aircraft engines, that’s fine on other threads but I prefer to avoid that here because this thread is a solutions thread and hopefully end up with a finished engine.

Thanks! Hopefully this will be fun and interesting.

Last edited:
Back