• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The "Skyflow" cedar strip Flea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I've been stuck at home during lockdown here in Brisbane, and with no wood to keep me occupied in the Yardshed, I've been spending my hours designing a cedar strip single (and double) seat Flea. These are very much in the concept stage, with very little by way of actual design having taken place. But this is what I've got staring at me from my Sketchup screen so far:
1629414354315.png

• Built in three sections - the "canoe", the turtledeck and the one-piece cowling
  • The front wing is low, the rear wing is high - avoiding the front wing downwash onto the rear wing.
  • Rudders (two of them) mounted on the rear wing.
  • Front wing pivots on a bushing, with a single strut at the first fold (suitably fared, of course)
  • Rear wing on two struts and cable (or a single strut, anchored to the faired strut bulkhead - no cables required).
  • Power: 990cc industrial engine (Valley Engineering Big Bad Twin) 50hp, 53kg
  • Length: 3085mm (spinner back to tail)
  • Front wing: 8.1m^2
  • Rear wing: 6.75m^2
  • Cedar required: 60 lineal metres, 19mm x 6mm @ 34g/m
  • Bulkheads: 9mm ply, 4kg
I did an initial CG estimation last night, and am struggling to get the estimated CG to line up with the required Flea CG. My estimated CG seems to be too far rearward. I may have to extend the nose a bit, like this, but that still doesn't solve the problem. Mmmm

1629413537578.png
But as I say, concept drawings only.

Comments welcome, as usual.

Duncan

Back