The sherpa

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

DarylP

Nope...nor do I have the money to buy the plane I would buy. But yeah...it is expensive. For me, this is a darn cool plane, and you gotta admit, a nicely built plane. I will say that if you watch the videos, it is hard to see what is in front of you, as is many tall taildraggers. But for me...this is a great plane, even if I cannot afford it.

PTAirco

Oh, and the $700,000 is for the piston engined version I think; I overheard him talking at Oshkosh last year. But it is a cool plane, nothing the average homebuilder couldn't do himself though. It's basic low tech, just an awful lot of it. Should have a big old radial on the front....

DarylP

Oh, and the $700,000 is for the piston engined version I think; I overheard him talking at Oshkosh last year. But it is a cool plane, nothing the average homebuilder couldn't do himself though. It's basic low tech, just an awful lot of it. Should have a big old radial on the front....
The radial would look cool but I doubt it would have the same horsepower. What's the plane look like up close? (You saw it right)

DarylP

A picture of the plane, and the fuselage in construction. Imagine that build!

steveair2

Log Member
I remember the first time I saw this aircraft a Oshkosh, it is truly awesome! I can't imagine welding up that frame. I talked to the guys involved in the construction of it. I ask about the large diameter tubes they were using, they told me that some of the larger tubes had a smaller inner tube telescoped inside of them. I am in the process of welding all the tabs on my biplane. I just thought mine had a lot of tabs. Look at how many that Sherpa frame has! They probably don't hand make their tabs like I do mine.

PTAirco

The radial would look cool but I doubt it would have the same horsepower. What's the plane look like up close? (You saw it right)
The build quality looked excellent, the parts counts seemed enormous - no wonder it is expensive. The labor involved must be huge, which I guess, is why they tried to get it built in Russia rather than here. Didn't work out apparently.

DarylP

If I could ever have this plane, I would make it into a camper. :gig:
I say that because the space inside is ridicules. Wouldn't that be cool, to go camping in this thing. But man...the gas bill! :shock: A 345 gal fuel capacity and a near 35 to 45 GPH burn rate...yesh. Look at the pipe on this thing.

9aplus

Something similar, bit bigger 3000 kg MTOW
Turbo Finist SMG 92 or SM 92T with Walter M601 D1 or F (PW possible too)
Russian origin, to be built in Europe under EASA soon...
More pic here -> http://helifor.eu/

plncraze

HBA Supporter
When the Sherpa first came out I believe it was as a homebuilt project. They were planning on production certification later if I remember correctly.

drake

The piston version choice for a engine should be a lyc GO480. I have a helio and nothing can come close to a geared engine swinging a long prop. The Helio with the lyc 720 8 cylinder gets spanked by the GO480 everytime due to the long prop and geared engine combo. The geared engine does have its downfalls as well $$$$$.

Group Builder