The rise of FrankenEngine - An engine for the VP-21

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mm4440

The costs of producing a reliable small engine is enormous, I recon that the “Franken” parts should be confined to ancillary parts added to a reliable bullet proof ‘core’ to make it more suitable for aviation purposes.
I know from my experience working with the Suzuki G10 that the basic engine weighs about the same as a Rotax 582, and I’m sure that it is not the only 3 cyl auto engine that is that light. Naturally it would only produce about 40hp direct drive, but add a small turbo and you would have 55-60hp ( the turbo conversion weight is reduced by the fact that you don’t need a muffler). The Suzuki runs reliably tilted over at 70deg exhaust down and can be tilted at 90deg if a large enough oil return pipe is fitted between the valve cover and the sump. The crank being 120deg they are easy to hand start. All 3 cyl engines exhibit an odd ‘wobble’ at idle but are absolutely vibration free at revs.
Jeron did a lightened DD G-10 that filled the requirements. Never finalized.
F head, that's Neat for sure.
View attachment 114751
Rover. Can use big valves. Was reported to be a good running engine.

PMD

I think the Neander is a four stroke
You are very correct. My mind works in strange ways: when I see two cranks and rods, I immediately think of 'folded piston" OPD - but of course no possible way with that design to get small enough combustion chamber to be a diesel. Neaneder has only one piston per every 2 rods, so is just a wierd double crank arrangement. The mere fact it has 2 cranks, 2 rods and 4 strokes explains why it is 2x as heavy as a 2 cycle could be.

SeaBee

Just dropping these here. They don't really meet the requirements (at all) of ~40 hp and ~80 lb, or air-cooled. But it seems weird to not talk about them.

AdrianS

Just dropping these here. They don't really meet the requirements (at all) of ~40 hp and ~80 lb, or air-cooled. But it seems weird to not talk about them.
I had a quick look - the ego on that site started dripping off my screen so I gave it a miss.

SeaBee

I had a quick look - the ego on that site started dripping off my screen so I gave it a miss.
Which site? There are two.
And If some random engine owner is an a-hole, is that a good reason to not look at or use that engine?

PMD

I still cry over the loss of the Norton twin rotor from the world. Anyone know what became of the design and tooling? At one point, it was being developed as a drone engine at IIRC 90 HP and seriously being considered as a certified production project.

AdrianS

Which site? There are two.
And If some random engine owner is an a-hole, is that a good reason to not look at or use that engine?
The second one.

I'm not saying the engine is no good, just that I gave up on reading the site you linked.

daveklingler

The Polling Thor 303 is pretty impressive. I'd have to rearrange things quite a bit to get it to fit in my Quickie cowling, but it might be worth a shot.

daveklingler

I still cry over the loss of the Norton twin rotor from the world. Anyone know what became of the design and tooling? At one point, it was being developed as a drone engine at IIRC 90 HP and seriously being considered as a certified production project.
As far as I know, there's at least one licensee currently for the Norton twin rotor. UAV Engines Ltd makes them, but they will not talk to you if you mentioned manned aircraft, and they charge a lot for a small engine. A few years back they said they were selling them as fast as they could make them.

TFF

The Crosley Cobra motor was sheet metal and they tried to put them in Mooney Mites besides cars. Ford had a plastic block race engine about 1979 for GTP racing. Although the classic Alfa Romeo 4 cylinder engine is cast, it’s essentially how the guy described the sheet metal one he made.

dwalker

The Crosley Cobra motor was sheet metal and they tried to put them in Mooney Mites besides cars. Ford had a plastic block race engine about 1979 for GTP racing. Although the classic Alfa Romeo 4 cylinder engine is cast, it’s essentially how the guy described the sheet metal one he made.
Most early Bugatti motors were bolted together.

PMD

As far as I know, there's at least one licensee currently for the Norton twin rotor. UAV Engines Ltd makes them, but they will not talk to you if you mentioned manned aircraft, and they charge a lot for a small engine. A few years back they said they were selling them as fast as they could make them.
As I remember it: whoever took on the Norton twin for aviation in the US had a suspiciously Rotax-like gearbox on the front. Shame they won't stick their neck out into the LLL (Legal Liability Lottery) world of genav.

My Grandad built a 6 Cylinder T Model Ford engine back in the 1920s . Way before Ford ever made their first 6 banger . FMC sent reps here to Okla. to talk him into going back with them . He declined . We still have the engine in a roadster and it runs fine . We don't run it much at all obviously because of what it is and internal parts are one of a kind . It was far enough in advance (crank shaft) wise that the throws are rotated to improve smoothness . These kind of people that go out on a limb are getting far apart and few between . Modern day tech. is amazing but these gentlemen were doing these things with very little resources . My hat's off to anyone with that level of talent .