The rise of FrankenEngine - An engine for the VP-21

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mm4440

The costs of producing a reliable small engine is enormous, I recon that the “Franken” parts should be confined to ancillary parts added to a reliable bullet proof ‘core’ to make it more suitable for aviation purposes.
I know from my experience working with the Suzuki G10 that the basic engine weighs about the same as a Rotax 582, and I’m sure that it is not the only 3 cyl auto engine that is that light. Naturally it would only produce about 40hp direct drive, but add a small turbo and you would have 55-60hp ( the turbo conversion weight is reduced by the fact that you don’t need a muffler). The Suzuki runs reliably tilted over at 70deg exhaust down and can be tilted at 90deg if a large enough oil return pipe is fitted between the valve cover and the sump. The crank being 120deg they are easy to hand start. All 3 cyl engines exhibit an odd ‘wobble’ at idle but are absolutely vibration free at revs.
Jeron did a lightened DD G-10 that filled the requirements. Never finalized.
F head, that's Neat for sure.
View attachment 114751
Rover. Can use big valves. Was reported to be a good running engine.

PMD

I think the Neander is a four stroke
You are very correct. My mind works in strange ways: when I see two cranks and rods, I immediately think of 'folded piston" OPD - but of course no possible way with that design to get small enough combustion chamber to be a diesel. Neaneder has only one piston per every 2 rods, so is just a wierd double crank arrangement. The mere fact it has 2 cranks, 2 rods and 4 strokes explains why it is 2x as heavy as a 2 cycle could be.

SeaBee

Just dropping these here. They don't really meet the requirements (at all) of ~40 hp and ~80 lb, or air-cooled. But it seems weird to not talk about them.

AdrianS

Just dropping these here. They don't really meet the requirements (at all) of ~40 hp and ~80 lb, or air-cooled. But it seems weird to not talk about them.
I had a quick look - the ego on that site started dripping off my screen so I gave it a miss.

SeaBee

I had a quick look - the ego on that site started dripping off my screen so I gave it a miss.
Which site? There are two.
And If some random engine owner is an a-hole, is that a good reason to not look at or use that engine?

PMD

I still cry over the loss of the Norton twin rotor from the world. Anyone know what became of the design and tooling? At one point, it was being developed as a drone engine at IIRC 90 HP and seriously being considered as a certified production project.

AdrianS

Which site? There are two.
And If some random engine owner is an a-hole, is that a good reason to not look at or use that engine?
The second one.

I'm not saying the engine is no good, just that I gave up on reading the site you linked.

daveklingler

The Polling Thor 303 is pretty impressive. I'd have to rearrange things quite a bit to get it to fit in my Quickie cowling, but it might be worth a shot.

daveklingler

I still cry over the loss of the Norton twin rotor from the world. Anyone know what became of the design and tooling? At one point, it was being developed as a drone engine at IIRC 90 HP and seriously being considered as a certified production project.
As far as I know, there's at least one licensee currently for the Norton twin rotor. UAV Engines Ltd makes them, but they will not talk to you if you mentioned manned aircraft, and they charge a lot for a small engine. A few years back they said they were selling them as fast as they could make them.