• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Razorback construction thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
Since the Razorback has morphed from a freewing design to a fixed wing design, and since the design process is now largely complete - it is probably appropriate to begin a new thread dedicated to the build process, and simply reference the older design thread for those interested enough in following the sometimes torturous path I've trodden so far...

The design thread can be found here:
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3799

From now on, I'll devote my posts to discussing the actual build process.

As of today (Frid 11 June):
  • I have erected a sturdy beam between two sturdy uprights
  • I've attached the 16" spinner bulkhead to one end of the beam
  • I've fitted a single seatback bulkhead
  • I have stretched 4.5mm glassfibre rods from front to back at regular intervals, forming a very uniform torpedo shape
  • I have begun attaching vertical "hoops" to tie all the longerons together. Each joint is currently loosely fastened with string, but will be bonded in place with a drop of epoxy when all rods are in place and the shape is perfectly uniform
Photos will follow - except that my workshop is so small I can't get a decent photo of anything. This weekend I will add castor wheels to the stand, and wheel the entire lot out onto the driveway - both to facilitate work, but also to allow me to take some decent photos.

Till later,
Duncan

Back