Quantcast

The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Doran Jaffas

I have seen wild turkeys fly....But not very high or far.....it certainly would be interesting to drop one from a copter and see if it would glide down safely. I bet it would.
Turkeys can fly and they can fly quite High actually. Their glide ratio may not be much but then again neither was my tri-pacer! Still that was a faithful bird. Something to think about. As far as dropping anything from a chopper,, you go first or whoever said that!

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
See the cable running from the forward spar wing strut fitting to the tail? Without that you’d need to find some way to brace the tail boom.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
Similar cables are on the Airbike. There’s an “AD” to add gussets to the structure prevent breaking the weld at the wing attach and cautions to not let those cables get slack.
I don’t like the look of cables and was thinking that maybe a small center section could be built that would serve as a torque box to prevent the motion between the wing and fuse attachment points?
http://www.jordanlakeaero.com/advisories.html

Last edited:

bifft

Similar cables are on the Airbike. There’s an “AD” to add gussets to the structure prevent breaking the weld at the wing attach and cautions to not let those cables get slack.
I don’t like the look of cables and was thinking that maybe a small center section could be built that would serve as a torque box to prevent the motion between the wing and fuse attachment points?
It could be done (consider all the planes with just a single big tube) but would be heavier than using the cable.

litespeed

I like that idea, if the honeycomb is cheap enough.

Similar also to the Belite model.

The Chipper seemed like a real good idea.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Could the tennis ball be made square? Why yes, yes it can. But you're not playing tennis with it then.

I believe that most of us agreed that this aircraft design would stay close to what it was at the point when the Ranger became its own thread.

With all respect to everyone
, making it out of honeycomb, or Kevlar, or styrofoam, is a different airplane that should be a ifferent thread.

Dillpickle

Erkki...you ever study either The Aussie Tyro or the MW7? either one offers a design that might be adapted to a skinny fuse, having a top tube carrying wing, engine, and tail, and Mike's MW7 offered folding wings. I believe the AL tubes in Mike's designs were made from British (H30?) alloy, but 6061 MIGHT be a viable alternative. It is close to 6082, and the 6082 is about h30.... yep. time to call an engineer. I think Mikes designs could have BOOMED in the US if there had been a dealer here. VULA "sold" plans, but not really. I would LOVE to buy some MW7 plans if anyone has a set lying around.

Aerowerx

Could the tennis ball be made square? Why yes, yes it can. But you're not playing tennis with it then.

I believe that most of us agreed that this aircraft design would stay close to what it was at the point when the Ranger became its own thread.

With all respect to everyone
, making it out of honeycomb, or Kevlar, or styrofoam, is a different airplane that should be a ifferent thread.
I commented on this a couple months ago. It's one of the things that keeps me entertained here on HBA.

Someone comes up with an interesting design and inevitably someone else says "Hey, we can make it better if we..."!