The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
The engine weight is a composition of 3 different El elements.
The engine
The continuous variable transmission
The gearbox.

The engine itself is most probably in the lower 100lbs range.
It's still weight in the nose ;)

poormansairforce

"Oops",. yes, I missed that, thanks. Okay, let's add some more weight for the fluid and heat exchanger/radiator.
Yes, more weight....

I wonder how much the TC weighs?

Curious, the 912 series has about 15cc/hp so with 6750 vs 5800 rpm the hp might be doable. I would guess 48ish hp. Even so its an interesting engine. If throttled back to 5800 cruise the piston speed isn't crazy....

pictsidhe

The GK 800 weighs the same as the 650. They are available without CVT. I'd suggest asking th factory about redrives, it may be that they have come up with one. Kevin Armstrong had belt wear issues with his Ace redrive. My own number crunching on a stiff type poly V redrive puts the natural frequency inside the useable rev range. If you work out where that is, you should avoid those revs. Put a red arc in the tacho.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Only size 12! You're lucky. I got size 15EE. I had to take off my shoes to fit in a DR109.

Victor Bravo

I am out at an ultralight strip now, just watched a small block Briggs Vanguard conversion flying a Quicksilver. 33 hp conversion (with a hop up cam and other small stuff) and a minimal exhaust muffler system. Flew just fine on a single surface 2 axis Quick. The original idea to use this on the Ranger now seems perfectly valid to me if the Ranger turns out to be reasonably light. The engine appeared perfectly airworthy for whatever it's worth.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I am out at an ultralight strip now, just watched a small block Briggs Vanguard conversion flying a Quicksilver. 33 hp conversion (with a hop up cam and other small stuff) and a minimal exhaust muffler system. Flew just fine on a single surface 2 axis Quick. The original idea to use this on the Ranger now seems perfectly valid to me if the Ranger turns out to be reasonably light. The engine appeared perfectly airworthy for whatever it's worth.
Any more info--did it use a PSRU (I'm assuming it did). Engine displacement? "Small block" B&S tops out at 627cc, 33HP would be a tall order for an engine designed for 22 HP. Did it seem to run at/near max available HP in cruise flight?