Quantcast

The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
Since I've been spending so much time ranting on the APlane thread I thought I'd better post an update on the Ranger.

I'm not proud of it but I decided to go with store bought AS&S Spruce for the longerons, spar caps and geodesic. I wanted to use lumber yard Pine and Doug Fir but I got lazy.
Ranger stock.jpg
That should be enough Spruce for two or three Rangers. Also the wing trailing edges and the rudder tube.

Since there's really not enough room in my garage to build two airplanes (and the Neirrh was there first) I'm going to do the actual building out at the chapter hangar, I'm there every day anyway.. We're cleaning up from our Waiex build but that should be done this week, then I can move this stuff out there and actually start building ...and have enough room to have a reasonable chance of success.

FritzW

Log Member
This is most of it. It's all going out to the hangar this week. I don't have enough room in my garage to build it so we made room in the build area of the EAA hangar (the Neirrh has priority in the garage). There's good and bad with a group/chapter build but that's my best option right now.

EDIT: I'll start a build log when I start gluing things together.

20190715_144016_resized.jpg

FritzW

Log Member
Sure. Just end the pylon at the top longerons and add some cabanes (and the cables etc. to make it rigid). The cabanes would have to be pretty long and might look a little goofy.

litespeed

Did You mean the two stroke or the V twin?

Any idea on cost and actual weight minus the box?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Engine wise, there might be an replacement possible for the B/S type.

Kevin Armstrong has been flying with the bigger brother (800cc) of the engine I’m thinking of, the 650cc Gaokin twin.
Would you be trying to run it direct drive, or with a PSRU? Kevin used an Ace redrive to run his previous B&S 627cc hopped-up engine at high RPMs.

Either direct-drive or with a PSRU, a 670cc air-cooled normally aspirated 4-stroke engine can be expected to give about 23 continuous HP in aircraft use. If we need more than that, then more displacement is needed, pure and simple.

erkki67

For the 650cc GK is claiming 53hp.which should be plenty of ponies.

The weight given is for the gearbox, CVT and engine is 72kg ( 159lbs)

Pricing is to be checked directly with GK.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
For the 650cc GK is claiming 53hp.which should be plenty of ponies.
Yes, but how much power do you need for cruise flight? That engine won't make nearly 53hp continuously, at least not if we want it to to be a reliable engine for flight.

erkki67

The engine weight is a composition of 3 different El elements.
The engine
The continuous variable transmission
The gearbox.

The engine itself is most probably in the lower 100lbs range.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The engine weight is a composition of 3 different El elements.
The engine
The continuous variable transmission
The gearbox.
The engine itself is most probably in the lower 100lbs range.
Microsport says their SE33 carbureted, direct-drive adaptation of the B&S 810cc engine weighs 77 lbs (32 kg) and produces 33 HP. I'd be highly skeptical that the 33 HP can be produced continuously, but 27 HP continuous would be consistent with other engines of this type and size. These are flying today, so the path has been found (suitable carburetor, prop adapter, ignition, modifications for horizontal mounting and lubrication, etc). New B&S 810cc engines are less that $1000 in the US, and I believe they have dealer support in most other regions of the world.
For continuous HP, all these air-cooled engines NA 4-strokes will will ultimately be limited by CHTs/cooling. If will an 810cc industrial engine (designed to run all day at 27 HP) can't produce the continuous power you need, it is unlikely that an air-cooled, 4-stroke 650cc engine designed for carts/UTVs will be able to do it.
Lycoming, Continental, VW, Jabiru, etc: If it is a 4-stroke NA engine in an airplane and the head is directly air cooled, it takes 30-33cc per continuous HP. No induction magic, higher RPMs, rods, high CRs, groovy aftermarket rods or cams, etc have allowed airplanes to exceed that long-term.

Last edited: