The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Victor Bravo, Feb 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 28, 2019 #781

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

From Wiktionary.com.....
    (Formatting got all screwed up there)
    So what would refructification meanin terms of airplane design? Starting it all over over again?

2. May 28, 2019 #782

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Those look neat, unfortunately, the max payload for the largest size they make (19.3") is only 264 lbs. each, which isn't enough for even a perfectly smooth landing in my Hummelbird at max gross weight. The smaller ones carry even less load.

3. May 28, 2019 #783

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

XPS, is Extruded Polystyrene. It is formed during manufacture.
    ( Sort of like..... the canned "Great Stuff", in a homeowners toolkit)
    https://www.buildings.com/article-details/articleid/8498/title/insulation--eps-and-xps

EPS is "Styrofoam", (Expanded Polystyrene) Or the white foam balls compressed into shapes like Big Box store packing for Electronics,
    and your white foam Hot coffee cups.
    There is very little cohesion in EPS, which is why it crumbles easily...
    when disturbed

4. May 28, 2019 #784

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well, to add to the confusion, Styrofoam is >not< EPS. It is a Dow tradename for its XPS product. That stuff in the linked video is not Styrofoam. Unfortunately, in popular use ("styrofoam picnic cooler") it usually refers EPS products. For that reason, to avoid confusion, it's really best to avoid the term "Styrofoam" when referring to foams used to build airplanes. If we say XPS or EPS, it is clear what we are talking about.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    FritzW and pictsidhe like this.
  5. May 28, 2019 #785

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

The ranger does look pretty sweet on tundra tires ;) now to find ones light enough.

6. May 28, 2019 #786

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Here's a pretty good video that explains the mass misconception about "Styrofoam": (even my favorite "Test Flight" guys got it wrong when they we're explaining the different types of foam used in model airplanes)

7. May 28, 2019 #787

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Maybe so, but it is slowly going the way of the term 'Kleenex', which is a brand name. When was the last time someone asked you to hand them a facial tissue so they can blow their nose? And how often do you check the imprint on the bottom of your styrofoam coffee cup to see if it was made by Dow Chemical?

8. May 28, 2019 #788

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

But here's the difference, and it is important: Kleenex is a type of facial tissue. Styrofoam is not a type of EPS, it is something very different. So, using Styrofoam is not just wrong, but confusing. Like using "Kleenex" instead of "anvil."
    I don't care if Aunt Mabel says she has a Styrofoam picnic cooler, I understand what she means, and it's not critical. And I'm not really concerned about protecting Dow's trademark. But I am interested in communicating clearly about materials being considered for airplanes. Plus, it's no more trouble to use the right term here--it even involves less typing.

FritzW likes this.
  9. May 28, 2019 #789

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

...we had this all cleared up on page 8 of this thread

There are two types of foam in this discussion:

Extruded polystyrene (XPS). = Hard flat sheets of rigid foam. In the U.S. it's usually pink (Owens Corning Foamular) or blue (DOW Styrofoam).

Expanded polystyrene (EPS). = The foam that's made out of those expanded little puffy white balls. Everyone calls it Styrofoam but it's NOT.

It's important to know the difference. When you say "Styrofoam wing ribs" everyone, incorrectly, thinks about those little foam picnic coolers and rolls their eyes.

Contrary to popular misconception, this is NOT Styrofoam (XPS). It's EPS. It's VERY different stuff and it's NOT what you make wing ribs out of.
    expanded-polystyrene-example1_lg.jpg

Vigilant1 likes this.
  10. May 29, 2019 #790

D_limiter

D_limiter

D_limiter

I just went to the Maker Faire and spoke to someone exhibiting their home-made ultralight (it was based off of the Legal Eagle). They claimed that they made their ribs out of white foam sheets, and the way they described the huge mess it made when cutting ribs suggested they used EPS. Now, I could be wrong, but it gave me the willies to think about.

11. May 29, 2019 #791

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

styrofoam.jpg

For ribs stick with the wooden ones of Fritz, for eventual false ribs use this kind of foam, rigide, and light, but it dosent like fuel or solvants.

it comes in different colors, light blue, light pink, light yellow and other light nuances . if you can see roundish small balls in the plank, leave it, its by far not strong enough for aircraft building.

12. May 31, 2019 #792

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

I had a nice talk with Scott Casler at Hummel Engines today. I told him about my issue of mounting the engine on a really narrow firewall. He had it all sorted out in about 30 seconds. I'm just going to need a modified back plate.

akwrencher, Dillpickle and pictsidhe like this.
  13. Jun 2, 2019 #793

Scott is one of the good guys. He is a very open book helping many who are not even his customers.

Matt

ScaleBirdsScott likes this.
  14. Jun 2, 2019 #794

"Regarding the engine SE33, no possibility to install a PSRU, only direct drive o_O"

I am sure John at ACE will set you up with a custom unit if you give him the mounting dimensions, I would have him integrate a engine mount in the re drive plate too. https://www.aceaviation.co.uk/redrives
    I think the engine direct drive and inverted and dry sumped like a 912 would be the simplest. If you want climb a redrive will provide it with a bigger prop.

15. Jun 2, 2019 #795

Deuelly

Deuelly

Deuelly

From what I've researched it seems like the wheel is the limiting factor. They could work fine for an ultralight with a custom aluminum wheel. Hopefully I'll be finding out soon.

16. Jun 5, 2019 #796

GeorgeG

GeorgeG

GeorgeG

17. Jun 8, 2019 #797

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Good morning Fritz, do you have any news regarding the Ranger?

What are the remaining targeted powerplants?

18. Jun 8, 2019 #798

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

The new nose (1/2 VW firewall, etc.) and the spar carry throughs are all drawn up and most of the parts are cut out. I'm getting a pretty good "Ranger kit" piling up in the garage. I'm going to have to do a little rearranging in my garage before I start gluing the big parts together.

I dread posting updates because I spend too much time having to justify every little detail. I'll start a build log when the gluing starts.

akwrencher and Hephaestus like this.
  19. Jun 8, 2019 #799

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Give the peanut gallery a choice; Parts or justifications. LOL. Or you can have Victor Bravo let 'em have it!

Dillpickle and akwrencher like this.
  20. Jun 9, 2019 #800

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

The Ranger concept is going to be a big hit, if it’s going to remain affordable, so far it’s on track.