The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Victor Bravo, Feb 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 14, 2019 #521

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I *think* the Verner engines have parts that stick out behind the plane of the engine mount lugs, though maybe you could relieve a big dog dish into the middle of a wooden firewall to house it all.

2. Apr 14, 2019 #522

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

The website doesn’t give many details of how he is accomplishing his work:

https://www.ps-hytech.de/

At the Air-fair I could discuss some time with the engineer.

The storage of the hydrogen is the main issue, physically the sphere is ideal so he built a 700mm prototype.

According to the engineer, those balls are scalable up or down.

The fuelcell was a 21kg~ 45lbs 49kwh unit.

3. Apr 14, 2019 #523

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

A 500mm ~ 20” ball in the back of the Ranger would be possible, not very good looking but feasible.

4. Apr 14, 2019 #524

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Yes, I'd like to know also. If the 1/2 VW, which version? And the Verner looks cool also. If you think the V-Twin isn't ideal, then perhaps I need to start looking around for a replacement. The Hirth F23? Loud, messy 2-stroke, but gobs of power. Any particular issues with the V-Twin?

Duncan

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. Apr 14, 2019 #525

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi Fritz,
    I've been working with the first sheet in order to become familiar with EstleCam - creating tool paths and so on. I see you have ditched the interlocking tabs idea?

Also, do you have a sheet with all the gussets? I'm presuming out of 1mm ply? Or also 3mm?

Duncan

6. Apr 14, 2019 #526

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The available V-twin conversions are not ideal. There is no such thing. They do seem to have reached a functional/useable level of development - more can be done.

IMHO your Big Twin should be a good match for this project. There are engines available with better power to weight ratio but you have the Big Twin in hand. It should get you in the air inexpensively. If you decide later that more power is needed you at least have a proven base line from which to work.

7. Apr 15, 2019 #527

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Yes, not ideal, but I already own it, which is a big plus. I'll need to get it out of storage, and have it looked at first. I'm also not an engine guy, so need to rely on local engine shops.

Cheers,
    Duncan

8. Apr 15, 2019 #528

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Early years of the current millenium found me working the Independence Flyer project up the valley from me. It was fun, of course, and served to keep my mind off my unemployability. There was a lot of debate going on, for sure!

9. Apr 15, 2019 #529

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

The thing sticking out the back of the Verner (I'm guessing) must be the intake. I think it could either be re-routed or accommodated in the area behind the panel. ...IF it can be mounted directly to the firewall.

The only thing that bothers me about the V Twin is I don't know a thing about them and there doesn't seem to be any, obvious, turn key packages that are floating to the top. I don't want an engine that's likely going to take a lot of screwing with to get it working.

I don't know what size 1/2 VW but unless there's a reason not to use the 47 HP Casler I think I'd go that route. The price seems right...

The Ranger fuselage never was really "tab and slot". It's more "CNC'd cleco holes". The cleco holes for the ply are in the files but unless your going to CNC the sticks also there's no point in drilling them.

If the fuel cell concept works out I think it'd be better to design a whole new airplane around it.

10. Apr 15, 2019 #530

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

If you don't have the right bunch of guys working, a chapter build can be a real PITA.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  11. Apr 15, 2019 #531

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have heard that the folks at MiniSport (makers of the SD-1) will sell kits for their direct-drive 4-stroke engines (descriptions of their 24HP, 31HP, and 33HP kits). I don't know what they'd charge, the only prices I've seen are for the engine+ hardware, a cowl for the SD-1, an engine mount, exhausts, etc.

If you need/want a turn-key setup (rather than fiddling around to try to make a stock V-twin work in an airplane yourself), I'd think that a Scott Casler 1/2 VW would offer more bang-for-the-buck as well as a lighter weight and a smoother-running, more powerful engine.

FritzW likes this.
  12. Apr 15, 2019 #532

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

For what it's worth, My Big Bad Twin (from Valley Engineering) cost a tad over $5k USD, and shipped with prop, redrive, twin exhausts, starter and alternator. It even arrived with engine oil. All up weight 116lbs. I suspect that minus oil, exhaust, starter and alternator it would come in at about 105 lbs.

That's plenty turnkey for me.

All I had to do was hook up a battery and some gas, bolt it to the bench (bed mount) and fire her up. Even I was able to do it.

Of course, you'd need to do the plumbing properly and connect the senders but that's about it. 50hp.

13. Apr 15, 2019 #533

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

I'm rapidly getting the hang of the software side of things. I know that Fritz is making his DXF files available to us, but i will want to draw other stuff myself down the road. So I tried QCAD, Fusion360, DraftSight and a few of the online apps like Onshape and Tinkercad.

But in the end, the app im most familiar with is Sketchup, so ive decided to stick with that. For the CAM side of things, estlecam is hard to beat, and the Lowrider CNC guys have a very active user community.

So Fritz, any time you get round to posting the gusset files...

14. Apr 15, 2019 #534

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That should be a very nice engine and will turn a big, efficient prop. They claim 32HP continuous for it, which should be plenty for cruising around in the Ranger.

15. Apr 15, 2019 #535

Blackhawk

Blackhawk

Blackhawk

16. Apr 15, 2019 #536

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi Fritz,
    Mmmm I can understand Clecos when joining two flat pieces. But pieces at right angles?

17. Apr 15, 2019 #537

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

LOVELY looking engines, but have you seen how much they want for their 37hp? Sheesh!

18. Apr 15, 2019 #538

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

About 6K$!!!

19. Apr 15, 2019 #539

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

$6k? Well, that's not bad at all. I thought it was much more than that. I must be confusing it with another engine.

20. Apr 15, 2019 #540

GeeZee

GeeZee

GeeZee

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Wikipedia lists the price at 12,600 euro in 2015 (about 14,200 USD at todays exchange rate). Now if that was a 100 hp engine and fuel consumption was reasonable that price would give the Rotax a run for its money....