The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

Good evening Fritz, what are the sized of plywood sheets your milling your parts from?
The question, because the sheets we have access to are 1500mm by 1500mm or for birch plywood. And 1250mm by 1250mm for Okoumé or Gaboon plywood, which cheaper by the way but less resistant too.

rtfm

Hi. Thanks for your reply VB. You're correct though. I should have posted in a more appropriate thread. We all need to keep our posts focussed on the Ranger.

rtfm

I'm no expert, but since Gaboon (2440 x 1220) is available here, and I already have most of my requirements in the workshop, That's what I'll be using. It's widely used here in Oz for planes.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Hi ! Two cents. Why dont add another pair of wing and make it biplane ? Instead of making three section of single wings , and connecting then ? This fuselage ask for negative stagger biplane wings like hyperlight ultralight.

Plus - if bottom wing is made to stall first, it will auto - recover from stall.

And remove tail section for transport.

http://legendsintheirowntime.com/LiTOT/Content/1943/UC43_AN_4307_DA.html

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
Good evening Fritz, what are the sized of plywood sheets your milling your parts from?
The question, because the sheets we have access to are 1500mm by 1500mm or for birch plywood. And 1250mm by 1250mm for Okoumé or Gaboon plywood, which cheaper by the way but less resistant too.
I'm using 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" Birch (1219mm x 2438mm x 3mm). I made a set of Stewart Headwind wing ribs out of 6mm Okoume. It wanted to "potato chip" a little but nothing the frame wouldn't straighten out.

CS test 1250.1500.png Just a quick and dirty overlay of your sheet sizes on the first cookie sheet. The top of the fuselage skin would fit on a 1250mm sheet. The bottom half would take another splice to fit on a 1500mm sheet. EDIT: I threw in a QBWW rib just to see how it's fit, the foam ribs have the same outer size. What are physical properties of the ply your dealing with? (should be listed in some Mil-Spec or Lloyd's spec?)

I'm working on the second cookie sheet as we speak, the only other piece that might be a problem is the rear pylon skin.

FritzW

Log Member
Just a quick update on the Ranger. The second cookie sheet is done but I can't cut it until next week. ...I need to put the VP-2 wing spar jigs back on the table to finish up a wing "kit" that me and a friend of mine have been trying to get done for months.

Side note: a spot in the "building area" of our EAA hangar opened up today. I'll probably put the Ranger fuselage together there (I spend most of my time there anyway).

Side note to the side note: I have to decide on an engine before I go too much farther. The "sticks" are different depending on whether it's going to be a bed mount or a firewall mount.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the update!

What kind of engines are you considering for the ranger?

FritzW

Log Member
I've pretty much given up on the V-Twin. I'm thinking either a Polini Thor 250 or a Casler 1/2 VW. It would be a little tail heavy with a Polini but that's solvable. ...and I'm not sure I completely believe the numbers for either engine. (I'm not an engine guy and I hate engine decisions).

erkki67

By the way, this weekend I was the Air-Fair of Friedrichshafen in Germany, and found several engine options for the Ranger, including a v-Twin of Swiatek, Polini, two Wankel derivatives, electric powerhouses and one powered by a fuelcell.

The later was or will be a challenge to have its hydrogen tank implemented into a frame of the Ranger, it’s spherical.

I like the idea of an electric bird with a fuel cell, that makes sense to me.

erkki67

For the wood issue, I’ve been talking to a friend, who is able to join two 3mm birch plywood panels and mill them accordingly to spec.

The plywood is certified with GL and not only aircraft grade

erkki67

8A2DD2CC-FF17-4DBC-8732-55D53492EA66.jpeg

How could someone not love this layout?

This concept offers all most any possibility to customize, as long as you leave the fuselage at it is.

I’m going for the fuselage first, it doesn’t take more space to store the two wings.

Is wish we had something similar like an EAA chapter here with a Hangar Corner, where we could meet and work on our home knitted birds.

The fact is, that we have an active home building scene here, but all of them are creating their marvels in their own workshop, as inviduals.

saini flyer

By the way, this weekend I was the Air-Fair of Friedrichshafen in Germany, and found several engine options for the Ranger, including a v-Twin of Swiatek, Polini, two Wankel derivatives, electric powerhouses and one powered by a fuelcell.

The later was or will be a challenge to have its hydrogen tank implemented into a frame of the Ranger, it’s spherical.

I like the idea of an electric bird with a fuel cell, that makes sense to me.
Erkki, please elaborate on the fuel cell and a webpage link for the company?

FritzW

Log Member
Building airplanes at the chapter hangar is more like going to a social club, It's a lot of fun and (sometimes) a lot gets done. But I'd bet 99% of homebuilts over here are built at home or in a private hangar.

The Scarlett 3V would be a good candidate. I wounder if it could mount directly to the firewall (VP style with no motor mount)?