• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

the problems with aviation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

Fair warning......this is a rant.....

I'm an A&P, private pilot, 24 years old, I've been flying since I was 16, 700+ hours logged in everything from ultralights to twins, and I'm fed up with the attitudes of 99% of the pilots I know. I currently fly an ELSA just because ultralight pilots are some of the best guys I've met in aviation.

We have a well known warbird pilot on the field and he's always preaching how more young guys need to get involved in the caf and keep 'em flying. However every time I ask how I go about getting I type rating in a warbird without the requisite hundreds of hours of round engine time or multi engine tail wheel time I just get a blank look and a rambling story about how he hauled freight in a beech 18 for 20 years! So where do I find a freight operator flying 18s and willing to take on a new pilot?

The local eaa chapter doesn't care that I exist because my aircraft doesn't say vans or rocket and doesn't have 20k in the panel!

Every one talks about how aviation needs more young people involved but everywhere I turn I'm finding that the reality Is most pilots that I've met treat aviation like its some exclusive club and want to deny entrance to a young guy with no money and an ugly airplane. Its sad how hypocritical a lot of pilots in my area are when it comes to promoting aviation. We give young eagles rides and the chapter shuts the door on them if they actually get their license because heaven forbid if they buy a plane and take up valuable hanger space that could be used for a transient warbird or jet!

Just the rambling of a confused young man who loves to fly.

Back