• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The price of land for an air strip: DISGUSTING

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppergirl

I love maps, so I've been clicking around GIS platt maps looking for little rectangular properties where I might one day aspire to land on a little grass strip of my own.

Nothing special, just generally rectangular chunk of dirt, out of the way of clusters of houses, on the most crappy property possible. All it really has to be is a flat piece of played out worthless old cotton field not worth butt kiss and it can be in the most inconvienent located area with a horribly long flagpole drive going to it.

Clicking on all these rubbish properties, and seeing how insanely they are evaluated at from $35,000 to$150,000, and the equivalent yearly nutso taxes on them, and then turning out my pockets and finding some nice laundry lint in there, it occurs to me, just how completely disenfranchised I am from this country, and not a part of it... at all. If I didn't have a place to park my head at night on the family farm, I'd be pretty much homeless living under a bridge down by the river, and hassled by cops.

Forgive me if I don't pay taxes. Apparently, I am a non-participant in whatever American experiment ever existed. I'm totally thinking of not even using its money any more to pay for anything, because quite frankly, I have none of it. So wait a minute, I'm already there. Alrighty then.

Post your strategies of how you would look for a place for your own airstrip with one self built hanger if you had to... that a person could actually afford. It doesn't actually have to be very wide or long, just long enough for an ultralight to take off and land in.... just a piece of land that is an old empty unexceptional field. For tax purposes maybe chose some kind of wildlife conservatory, or industrial waste site, empty strip mine, abandoned road, or... what?

I bet out in the desert land is... cheaper.... cause here in the old rotten Tobacco Road South, they must think this old worthless dirt got gold rocks hidden in it...

Back