Quantcast

The Other Side of Auto Conversions

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
That is cool. There is something to be said for machines that are unnecessarily complicated, just for the heck of it.

Rockiedog2

Some tanks(the Sherman?) in WW2 used Continental 670 radials. Mr Bob(cropduster/IA/Stearman restorer/ag service) got an STC for converting those for a prop and used em on Stearman dusters for decades. He found a machine shop in Memphis that could do the critical work of machining/installing the hubs. There was a huge stack of crates in the hangar containing surplus 670s. I ran across a Grenada Air Service STC data plate that came off one of those motors at Air Repair in Cleveland MS. I tried to buy it..."nope, not for sale". It was obvious that conversation was over. It was the standard SS plate but with dark green background...military looking(Mr Bob was a B24 mech). I'd love to have that plate on my wall.
I'm gettin all nostalgic again Pops. Does that mean we're gettin old?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Some tanks(the Sherman?) in WW2 used Continental 670 radials. Mr Bob(cropduster/IA/Stearman restorer/ag service) got an STC for converting those for a prop and used em on Stearman dusters for decades. He found a machine shop in Memphis that could do the critical work of machining/installing the hubs. There was a huge stack of crates in the hangar containing surplus 670s. I ran across a Grenada Air Service STC data plate that came off one of those motors at Air Repair in Cleveland MS. I tried to buy it..."nope, not for sale". It was obvious that conversation was over. It was the standard SS plate but with dark green background...military looking(Mr Bob was a B24 mech). I'd love to have that plate on my wall.
I'm gettin all nostalgic again Pops. Does that mean we're gettin old?
Short answer-------------- YES

Local man has an Airboat with a tank surplus 670 on it.

Jerry Lytle

Trade a Plan ran adds for Continental 670 Tanks $200 per.
Same issue had a B-25, the Whelen Lighting test bed, current and flyable for $8,500.
Old? yeah!

don january

Log Member
I'll tell what I think of the other side of auto conversion's. I made the mistake of thinking a engine was developed and all bug's where worked out so I bought the conversion manual and started wrenching away (CORVAIR) After crank issues, and a number of upgrades discovered by the authority to better the engine I had a motor that was not up to risk management standards. Later I came to learn that it's not so much the engine but the RPM needed for the prop. Many engines in the auto seen need a PRU to get the right RPM for the prop and I've had a supplier say that control of the RPM can be handled by the throttle and this does make since to me other then you can not get Max power without Max RPM of what ever engine your converting. Weight of auto engine's is a back draw and the supply of older core's is a on coming issue. Money for the engine is another area that hurt's builder's and GA owners, A person can go to a local junk yard and by a 3 cyl Suzuki engine for around $400.00. I to this day don't see wy a 400.00 engine end's up costing $8500.00 to be ready to bolt to your plane?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'll tell what I think of the other side of auto conversion's. I made the mistake of thinking a engine was developed and all bug's where worked out so I bought the conversion manual and started wrenching away (CORVAIR) After crank issues, and a number of upgrades discovered by the authority to better the engine I had a motor that was not up to risk management standards. Later I came to learn that it's not so much the engine but the RPM needed for the prop. Many engines in the auto seen need a PRU to get the right RPM for the prop and I've had a supplier say that control of the RPM can be handled by the throttle and this does make since to me other then you can not get Max power without Max RPM of what ever engine your converting. Weight of auto engine's is a back draw and the supply of older core's is a on coming issue. Money for the engine is another area that hurt's builder's and GA owners, A person can go to a local junk yard and by a 3 cyl Suzuki engine for around $400.00. I to this day don't see wy a 400.00 engine end's up costing $8500.00 to be ready to bolt to your plane?
One day I flew in formation for a while with a Kite with a 3 Cyl Suzuki engine and that engine really performed. He bought it out of a junk yard and converted it himself. I was impressed. I was flying my SSSC.

Last edited:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I spoke with Jerome at Raven about the 3 cylinder Geo engines. He asked why I was interested and my answer was that they are the modern VW engine, cheap common and around 60 horses

don january

Log Member
I spoke with Jerome at Raven about the 3 cylinder Geo engines. He asked why I was interested and my answer was that they are the modern VW engine, cheap common and around 60 horses
I'm thinking a Geo Engine would handle my KR-2 JUST FINE!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Yes, I remember him. I was very much into drag racing in the early 60's, running at the national record in my class and going to all the drag strips in the eastern half of the country. I will never forget his runs in the Chevy powered bike. Remembered one time he couldn't get the engine shut down and another time the bike went over backwards at about 140 mph. He showed me the scratch on his wrist. My next door neighbor drove the Green Monster for Art Artons ( Land Speed Record) and also had a Allison Aircraft powered Dragster of his own. I had lots of help in my cars from a man that built Indy cars. Also a friend of mine used to drive Indy cars back in the late 50's.
Once a motor head always a motor head.

Added -- My new bride in 1960 had a older brother and first cousin the built stock car frames and also ran stock cars at that time. I used to help a little in their shop.
When I was a kid, if I wasn't at the airport, I was at the dirt tracks. My idol at the dirt tracks when I was a kid, was Speedy Estep. Killed in 1953 at Columbus, Oh.

Last edited:
M

Manticore

Then there's John Dodd's Merlin engined "Beast" originally built in the 1960's.
(The original caught fire - apparently at nearly 200 mph on a public road! Later, Rolls Royce forced him to remove the RR grill which graced both the original and the post fire rebuild.)
images.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
Not to mention motorcycles:
radial1.jpegradial2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dino

HBA Supporter
He bought the car with the grill. He gets to put it where he wants, be it fireplace or bus. I would have taken it as a backhanded compliment from RR.