The new guy from North Carolina

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Buckolieo

Hello everyone.. I have been a LONG time "wannabe builder" but never thought I had the skills to be able to complete an airplane. Don't get me wrong I know I can do the woodwork no problem. I went to College for cabinetmaking and have about 7 years in a cabinet shop. The mechanical is what worries me. Anyway, while on this "Lockdown" I came across an oldish flash drive of mine that had among other things EVERY set of plans for Team Mini Max (7 sets). I forgot that I downloaded them when they were offered for Free some years ago.. Again anyway, now I am ready to give it a try... But I don't know where to start.. A friend said to start with the engine while another 1 said wings.. Any ideas?

Buckolieo

Start with the tail, less investment (time and money) if you lose interest.
I thought about that also. And it does make better sense to start there. I wouldn't get overwhelmed in the beginning.. Thank you

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I started my project with the wing ribs. That's another low investment place to start. The tail is another good choice I see so many starter kits that are the tail.

TFF

Second the wing ribs. Tail would be a close choice too. Ribs don’t take up a lot of room. Once you get either done, you have to start planning space and storage. If storage is not a problem , complete the wing or fuselage; whatever end you were working on. Where things meet up but are not built yet, you might have to shift gears and do a different part of the project until those parts can come together. Build some flexibility until stuff can be finished.
Unless you just happen upon an engine, do that last. It’s the easiest part.

Tench745

Second the wing ribs. Tail would be a close choice too. Ribs don’t take up a lot of room. Once you get either done, you have to start planning space and storage. If storage is not a problem , complete the wing or fuselage; whatever end you were working on. Where things meet up but are not built yet, you might have to shift gears and do a different part of the project until those parts can come together. Build some flexibility until stuff can be finished.
Unless you just happen upon an engine, do that last. It’s the easiest part.
On my Jr Ace project I started with ribs. They don't take up much space and look sufficiently airplane-y so even in the worst case you get some neat decorations out of it. The tail is also a good place to start. Fairly simple to build, minimal investment, and makes a good wall hangar while you build the rest. For my aircraft, if I didn't have to learn to gas weld first I probably would have started on the tail.
If space is not a concern, start on whatever you want. If space is not limited, it's been recommended to assemble both wings at once so you can just bounce between them and save time retooling for the second.