The Lightest Starter for Rotax 2-Strokes

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Mig29fuk

Have M5 Starter on my 447 Sluka. Easy to fit and very smooth operation. I use a Lithium Ion Battery capable of 175 Amps at Cranking. Weighs 10 ounces (400 Grams). Cost £75.00 from FulBat. LITHIUM - Fulbat. In fact I now have 2 as its so light I can carry it as a spare. Charge in 1 hour.
Regards
Gerry

bebedriver

HBA Supporter
Yep, glad you are enjoying it Gerry :cool: If anyone is interested 'over there' - its £485 or $678. The last one delivered to the US cost $730 including carriage from memory. The only alternative apart from the original (stick out the back) Rotax starter (heavier) is the GPL which weighs 12lbs and costs $800. I also offer 2 years warranty, compared to my competitor's 1 year mainly because there are M4 units ( the previous model) still operating after 20+ years!

bebedriver

HBA Supporter
It should do, but I've never fitted one to a 277. Basically it replaces the Recoil Start assembly and the cup which is bolted to the flywheel. The majority of Rotax 2T motors use the same set up. If you can compare the crankcase arrangement (Mag flywheel/Recoil unit) with a 377/447 and it's the same then yes. Yours is the first inquiry, so I'll put some effort into finding out for sure :cool: TBH It might be a case of overkill! It will spin a 582 with no trouble at all!

OK, after a fair bit of searching, it looks like it will fit a free air cooled 277, but not a fan cooled unit - if this helps?

Last edited:

Litefox

Yep, glad you are enjoying it Gerry :cool: If anyone is interested 'over there' - its £485 or $678. The last one delivered to the US cost $730 including carriage from memory. The only alternative apart from the original (stick out the back) Rotax starter (heavier) is the GPL which weighs 12lbs and costs $800. I also offer 2 years warranty, compared to my competitor's 1 year mainly because there are M4 units ( the previous model) still operating after 20+ years!
I would like more information. Are there drawings showing how it is mounted? Does it require a different engine mount? I live in Virginia.
Thanks,
Woody

bebedriver

HBA Supporter
Hi Woody, it simply replaces the recoil start unit, it's no deeper, and the motor lies alongside the crankcase. No different mount required. See these pics. You can choose where you orient the motor, simply download the full size backplate template, offer it up to suit your application and mark it up based on the 12 O'clock position and we drill the plate to order.

Attachments

Mig29fuk

I can thoroughly recommend the M5 Starter. I have it on my Fan cooled 447.
Weight is important so I adopted using a Lithium Ion Battery with Cold Cranking 170 Amps weighing 10 ounces. FLTX7L - Fulbat
The final part to complete a sweet install is the KeyWest Rectifier/Regulator with its smooth DC for charging the Lithium Battery.
Regards
Gerry

Litefox

Hi Woody, it simply replaces the recoil start unit, it's no deeper, and the motor lies alongside the crankcase. No different mount required. See these pics. You can choose where you orient the motor, simply download the full size backplate template, offer it up to suit your application and mark it up based on the 12 O'clock position and we drill the plate to order.
Can I download the template before buying one?

fgutier2

HBA Supporter
Can any tell me how do I get one of these starters here in Dearborn Michigan? Is there a web page ect,ect?

Armilite

Rotax's Electric start bolted on the 277UL Free Air. I have seen a GPL adapted to a 277UL Free Air also. AirScrew makes a Billet Cover, to replace Rotax's Cast Cover. There are also Billet Rope Pull Covers. These Billet 582 Starters were being sold on eBay. With a GPL you can keep your Rope Start if you want.

Attachments

Mig29fuk

Looks good. I elected for the M5 Starter and abandoned Pull Start on 447. I use a 175 Amp Lithium Ion battery.
The Battery weighs 10 ounces and is small. The cost was such that I purchased two and keep a spare on board in Fireproof Bag.
Pictures of install included.
Regards
Gerry
Bath, England.

Attachments

pchelandenny

Lifetime Supporter
We've updated several of the Rotax 447's installed on our 'pushers' with the GPL electric starter: some retain the pull start option and others didn't. They are simple to install and work fine. They are relatively heavy, a bit expensive perhaps. Out of 5 installed, we've only had one bad one. I like what I see in the M5 starter and will give that a go next time around. We are using the Shorai LFX 18 or 21 mAh batteries with a weight of about 2.5 lbs. GPL recommends an 18 amp or higher battery. So far, so good.

Attachments