The Janowski Project - Rethinking the J1B/J2/J3

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

asadof

Yeah - was an initial layout/ballpark / see how it looks. Lots changed and moved around since it was first drawn.

There's room for more prop than the motor can swing and I'm not too concerned about FOD... Not like I'll be taking it back country flying.
Why not make Don Quixote?

Fred C

FWIW, while I was looking for something else I ran across a J-1B Builders Manual. I assume this dates from the 1980s when plans were translated to English for sale in the USA. I have not studied it, but there is a list of plywood skin sizes for different areas, thicknesses of 1.5 mm, 2.0 mm, and 2.5 mm.
Thankyou for posting the j1b manual !!

Fred C

[Insert deep sigh here]
Too bad that the Yahoo group is dead. You could get these plans for free.

DO NOT PAY FOR THEM!! Ask around and someone is sure to have a free copy. All the other items on the disc should also be available free. Remember Google (or Duck-Duck-Go) is your friend!
How do the rights to build a J2 work.

bmcj

Supporting Member
[Insert deep sigh here]
Too bad that the Yahoo group is dead. You could get these plans for free.
I wonder if the WAYBACK site could also recover the plan files. I don’t agree with pirating, but if the plans are orphaned and there’s no one to reach out to and pay royalties to, then I suppose a free set might be fair game.

Aerowerx

How do the rights to build a J2 work.
I am not sure, but I believe they are now in the public domain like the J-1B.

I have a copy of the J-2 plans, but they are a poorly scanned copy of the originals. And they are in Polish. Because of the poor quality scan you sometimes have to use your imagination, and have Google Translate open at the same time. If I remember the story, they were redrawn from Janowski's originals by some high school students and may or may not be entirely correct.

Aerowerx

I wonder if the WAYBACK site could also recover the plan files. I don’t agree with pirating, but if the plans are orphaned and there’s no one to reach out to and pay royalties to, then I suppose a free set might be fair game.
All I know is that they were available for the taking on the old Janowski Yahoo group.

Fred C

I do thank you for the info. Guess I will not worry about building a J2.

asadof

It seems that no one is interested in building this type of plane
This group is silent, no one has posted a photo or video of their project

Aerowerx

There is more activity in Europe.

I know several (maybe 10???) years ago there were 3 or 4 of these being built here in the USA, and one of those was supposed to be electric powered. But I haven't heard anything about them in a long time.

It seems that no one is interested in building this type of plane
This group is silent, no one has posted a photo or video of their project
I am building a J2. I just made the cardboard mold for the plane 2 days ago. It is hard to balance between work and building time