• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The "good" old days.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmarepair

Supporting Member
From a discussion about a Sonex Onex with one flight logged that was up for auction, and how it's tough to get them insured today, my Uncle (in his late 70's) chimes in:

"In the 50's many farmers had cheap 2 seat airplanes that they landed on their own grass or small- town strips and many were not Lic or inspected at all. Most did their own engine maintenance and the planes often were just left outside. I about bought a fabric Taylorcraft 40 hp 2 seater for $800 with no radio, I went to pick it up about in 1966 and the guy sold it the day before. Once a Guy from around <small central Iowa Town> reportedly flew a small plane under the Des Moines river bridge ( maybe 14 to 18 ft clearance) just to prove he could. As long as they stayed away from Des Moines and didn't crash, I don't recall anyone getting in trouble. Dr. <redacted> from <small central Iowa town> had a good plane, but he had a serious accident and totaled that plane . Dad new a guy <redacted> that lived by the Skunk river halfway to <mid-sized Iowa town>. Dad was buying about 3500 ac in Northern Minn. and they flew up there in a WWll plane and bought it on a fly- over without even landing."

Back