The GA Market

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Wanttaja, Sep 29, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 30, 2019 #41

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Diamond whatever's and Cessna 172.

The offshore students have made the rates soar of late.

2. Sep 30, 2019 #42

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Median salary in 1968 was $7,700, median salary in 2018 was $46,800, a factor of 6.08.
    Median house price in 1968 was $24,700, median in 2019 was $204,300, a factor of 8.27.
    Minimum wage in 1968 was $1.60 per hour, minimum wage in 2019 is $11.10, a factor of 6.94.
    Gasoline cost $0.34/ gallon in 1968, current average is $2.64, a factor of 7.79.
    Difficult to find numbers on Avgas, and there were 3 grades back then and only one now.
    Inflation 1968 to 2019 is a factor of 7.37.

Median rent in 1970 was $108, median rent in 2018 was $1,405, a factor of 13.01.
    In 1970 median rent was 17% of median salary, in 2018, median rent was 36% of median salary. This makes it harder to get started out in life for young people, and that doesn't factor in the huge increase in tuition for those that go to college, and loan repayments for those that get them.

BoKu likes this.
  3. Sep 30, 2019 #43

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

bmcj.......yeah I know,I tend to be outspoken and think a little differently than most.......its a blessing and / or curse.
    So I will say You're Welcome or I'm Sorry...whichever applies this time....lol

I just think the current system is broken and those in charge of making the decisions are dead set not to fix it,for whatever reason.
    Aviation should be fun,serve a purpose to society,be accessible by anyone interested.....etc.
    But it seems that the FAA does their best to discourage individuals from getting into aviation and I will give an example.

Ultralights are unregulated as long as they abide by FAR103.....dont do stupid stuff and you will never hear from the FAA.
    Everything was going great.......there were instructors available,people were having fun,planes were being bought & built and you almost never heard of an ultralight incident/accident....ever.
    So why the change to throw a wrench in the works ????
    Now,you can still build and fly an ultralight but you are very hard pressed to find anyone that can give you the instruction to learn to fly the plane and be safe doing so.
    Why did the FAA make changes that pretty much ruined a recreatinal industry for everyone in the country ?

That's just one viewpoint.....I could be right or I could be wrong....could go either way really.

I will say this....I am grateful for aviation.
    On the way home tonight I came upon a wreck a few miles from my house.
    Never saw the actual wreck but there were "3" medivacs on the ground at the same time and then dusted off heading to Louisville.
    I have NEVER seen more than 1 on the scene.....EVER....I was a Paramedic and worked many scenes.
    Thanks go out to those men and women that have devoted their careers to save others.

Kevin

BBerson likes this.
  4. Sep 30, 2019 #44

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

LOL, don’t sweat it... I did put a wink smilie at the end.

MadProfessor8138 likes this.
  5. Sep 30, 2019 #45

Pops

Pops

Pops

Lets face it, people that share every thing in their lives on Facebook is stupid is correct. We all did stupid things when we were young and didn't know better and I'm sure glad it wasn't common knowledge. Its a choice, be on Facebook, etc or not, controlled by the pop culture or not, etc. Today the youth are taught to conform so everyone is just a clone of everyone else from day one in the Gov schools. Not taught to question and and think for themselves. Not only not taught, but highly discouraged.
    You are correct, the Facebook thing is a parenting issue.
    We had 3 children born in 1961, 1962 and 1964. They went to a gov schools, but was home schooled every night for several hours. The teachers knew this, they would ask our children were they were at in different subjects in their home schooling. They grew up great and they also schooled their children the same way and we have 8 grandchildren and they all are great people and people to be proud of in every way.

BJC, MadProfessor8138 and Vigilant1 like this.
  6. Oct 1, 2019 #46

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Lots of good information there and I don't quibble with a bit of it.

But I will suggest that the increase in rent, both in dollars and as a percentage of median income, is substantially driven by the improved accommodations the market demands today. "Then" it was much more likely to be bare bones than today, and more/better almost always costs more...

7. Oct 1, 2019 #47

Pops

Pops

Pops

I think is was a lot easier for me when I was first starting out in the world than for my Grand kids now.

8. Oct 1, 2019 #48

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Simpler then, easier now. I'm guessing you occasionally worried about where the next meal or utility payment might come from. Your grandchildren (or at least their peers) worry about when to upgrade to the iPhone 14 and which streaming service to cancel...

9. Oct 1, 2019 #49

Pops

Pops

Pops

No, if the grandchildren worry about when to upgrade to the iPhone 14 then someone else is still taking care of them.
    I have been on my own since I was 17 years old and finding a job where I had enough money for the necessities like food, rent and utility bills was easy to get compared to today. I was expected to leave home the day I finished High School and I did.
    There again, I live in one of the poorest county in one of the poorest states, in a flyover state of flyover states. Lots of people in this area are living with no electric and no plumbing. Forgotten people.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  10. Oct 1, 2019 #50

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

We saw it at work.

But I went north to make $. Some kids want the paycheck but not the sacrifice. I blame participation trophies. No risk still rewarded. A lot of them struggle with the week in week out, or 2weeks in 1 out. You suck it up and deal with it until you're in a nicer position. Complaining you're s journeyman and ditch digging is beneath you - doesn't get you there.

That said, I still shake my head at "starter homes" those are supposed to be 1000sqft single story 'post war' specials. Square, 2 bedrooms 1½ bath, Gable roof, undeveloped basement bit of land. Basics but nothing fancy.

??? WTF is this stuff. 3 stories 3 bath, attached garages, marble counters... Really? No wonder they're so much more expensive now.

I'll stay out of personal choices but sometimes it's clear, they were never made to choose as kids.

Pops likes this.
  11. Oct 1, 2019 #51

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Yah, it was a struggle - getting one of those jobs. If you didn't have the right connections you had to go home every day at 5 too.
    What an inefficient use of time.:confused:

12. Oct 1, 2019 #52

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

^^^Yup!

^^^Yup!

The idea of a quad copter as an urban commuter reminds me of Portland's "Lime" scooters. Some crazy-ar$ed times on Portland's sidewalks for a few weeks!

13. Oct 1, 2019 #53

aeromomentum

aeromomentum

aeromomentum

Yes a $50K or $100K AA1 is currently a pipe dream. BUT it should not be if you look at inflation, wages, technology, etc.

Don't blame "Unions" and labor. Actually wages have not kept pace with inflation. productivity has increased and there is less union membership now. So if we base it on wages then GA aircraft should be less expensive today. Automation today is actually less expensive and more applicable to 100 units a year. We do many CNC parts in about that quantity and it is much more applicable and affordable than casting and other methods more used 40-50 years ago.

It is my understanding that Piper no longer has product liability insurance.

Yes flashy glass cockpits are expensive but not if they are kept more simple. Just plain old radios are actually much less expensive, do more and work better. Even a transponder with ADSb out is a lot less expensive than a mode c transponder 40 years ago.

So the real question is with inflation about 7 times since 1969 why have aircraft gone up 20++ times? We know it is not labor. We know it is not automation costs. At least for Piper it is not insurance costs. We know it is not certification costs for aircraft that have been certified for many years. We know it is not radios. So what is it?

Himat likes this.
  14. Oct 1, 2019 #54

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

One factor: tort costs don't go away if a business drops insurance against them. Claims need to be paid, and investors/banks will demand more interest for capital if a company is "going bare."

The number of cheap old planes pretty much takes the profit out of building more certified acft at the low end. So, they build a fewer number for folks who are willing to pay a lot for a new plane. That market is small, and we see the result.

15. Oct 1, 2019 #55

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Government regulations. They have increased 200 fold! Not just the FAA. Do manufacturers paint those newer airplanes. Bring in the EPA, OSHA, city government, etc. Just one example.

When I started flying in 1960 the entire list of FAA publications for study was one book with about 70 pages. It replaced the former CAA three publications Path of Flight, Realm of Flight and the most basic one I do not recall the title of. Each were about 20 pages with nice colored illustrations. I wish I still had them. I did see one in a museum once.

BJC likes this.
  16. Oct 1, 2019 #56

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Lol, getting the job isn't hard. Swear to God at times it's breathing and heartbeat? Check! Pee test! Passed? Here's a bus ticket!

Our site... 83% of new hires didn't make it 3 months. First winter claims all but 1-2 of the remainder. (-50 sucks no matter what scale you're using).

17. Oct 1, 2019 #57

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...ID=20180404X13226&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=FA

Embry riddle crash.
    How many pa28/32's are out there now?

18. Oct 1, 2019 #58

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

The Vashon Ranger and Van's RV-12 are about $100k ready to fly.

19. Oct 1, 2019 #59

Himat

Himat

Himat

Then a Caterham Super 7 should have followed the C172 in price. It has not, it looks like the price of a Caterham Super 7 follow the VW Golf and other cars. Some hundreds Caterham cars are made annually, high volume is obvious not required to keep costs down.

20. Oct 1, 2019 #60

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Cessna stopped building their piston singles in 1986 due to lawsuits against them for accidents in airplanes that had left the factory 40 years before. Even if they won the court case they still had the legal costs. They had to, and still have to, retain legal counsel. What's the root of that? Society's tendency to teach kids so much self-esteem that an accident must be someone else's fault. And greed. And the perceived deep pockets of the industry. A lot of workers were laid off when they stopped production.

So when they went back to work ten years later, after the government reduced the liability tail to 18 years, they had to resurrect machinery and tooling, hire a whole bunch of new guys that had to be trained. They had to comply with the new FAR23 rules instead of the old CAR3 stuff. They had to address the weak areas that were subjects of ADs and SBs. Some problems emerged: the quality control was inadequate for the green workers and there were issues with missing rivets and so on. Some of the newly-designed parts (like the battery tray) were cracking. The airplanes became a lot heavier due to the upgrades, and the performance of the early R-model 172s was poor since they still had the160-hp they'd been using in '86, except that it was now a derated fuel-injected IO-360, an expensive upgrade. They had to issue a different propeller and tach and some POH pages to up it to 180-hp.

So it ended up a lot more expensive, which kept sales down, which made production even more expensive. Even at that, Cessna makes more money off one new Citation than all the 172s they build in a year. Why they bother building them at all mystifies me.

Pops and bmcj like this.