The forums you follow

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

way_up_noth

Homebuilt air planes has quickly become my goto forum for general aviation questions and interesting aviation conversation

What other sites do you guys recommend to follow?

I’m following :

Homebuiltairplanes
EAA forum
Bearhawk forum
Zenith forum
Van’s airforce

BJC

HBA Supporter
I look at EAA. It should be the “go to” forum for homebuilt airplanes and sport flying, but it isn’t. Spent some time with the person at EAA responsible for the forum several years ago (at Oshkosh). Discussed lots of issues and opportunities, with specific suggestions for enhancement. Lots of head nodding and agreement; no action.

I participate in the Glasair Aviation Owners Association forum, a pay-for-use site that is the resource for Glasair, GlaStar, Sportsman and Symphony aircraft. All available resources for those aircraft are there, along with people who enjoy helping others. Great site, owned and operated by the same guy who runs the Kitplanes web site.

HBA was a tremendous source of comfort when I was sick and unable to do anything but exist.

BJC

don january

Log Member
The KRNET has some good topics and cover many items in the older news letters. Barnstormers is a fun site and has some great pictures. To me any web site up and running can be a big +. Experimental Aircraft Association should tie right in with HBA but both seam to drift off to GA at times. But like most fellas say you should be building or flying then sitting in front of the putter.a rudder part2.jpg

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Before the demise of Yahoo! Groups, I was a member of about 8-10 groups related to homebuilt aircraft whether focused on specific types (FRED, Volksplane, Flying Flea, Davis DA-2, etc.) or other topics (French homebuilts, VW aircraft engines, etc.). Other than the FRED group, which I co-moderated, I mostly had them set up to send weekly digests or just went in to look around from time to time with no automatic emails at all.

Other than that I am still a member of the EAA and LAA groups but use them rarely as I find the EAA forum not terribly helpful or informative in many cases and the LAA forum is simply quiet. I was once a member of the Biplane Forum but found that there was little interest in the type of lighter, simpler, or quirkier designs that interested me, and I had no personal interest in 200 hp Pitts.

My favorite, and a real support for my sanity when unable to pursue my hobbies in person, is HBA.

TFF

Biplane forum. They cut out the silly upfront. There are dreamers but they are also building or flying something. Lots of build projects of all types. If you want to talk about STOL canard biplanes run on a weed eater engine , you better show real stuff. Lots of the same cast of characters have tried over there and are shut down. You have to be more patient for content, group is smaller and are doing things. Sometimes the Tailwind group. I haven’t found a lot of the old groups on io that I was on and I don’t do Facebook.

Michael Silvius

A couple more aircraft specific:

Pops

Log Member
This is the main forum. But, I go to about 6 or 8 other sites. Maybe post something a few times a year total.

Marc W

I too, like the Biplane Forum. There are a lot of builders there and they post a lot of pictures. It is a very good place to hang out if you are interested in tube and rag and wood wing airplane construction details.

Other than that, I frequent the Thatcher forum because I own one: thatcher-aircraft groups.io Group. I also frequent Yamaha Aircraft Conversions because I have a Yamaha engine to convert: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164864990778457

Hephaestus

Most of the homebuilt type sites - I'm not a fan of... Some of the Facebook wierd aircraft groups are fun.

Mostly get irritated with the "build to plans - change nothing" fanboys. And politics. For that I have to thank our wonderful moderators and admins here.

I check in at avcanada now and then, but don't even have a valid account anymore. More when I'm looking for a bit of not in the book info on smaller airports. It's definitely not a place to discuss experimental or non commercial... But occasionally a good post to be found.

rdj

Matronics has a lot of aviation forums, but most see little to no activity. The exception is the aeroelectric forum, which is quite active and where most of the homebuilt wiring / electronics action seems to take place. Other than that and some of the groups.io engine forums that migrated over from Yahoo! you've found most of the ones I follow. There's also Sport Pilot Talk which I check out occasionally.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kolb forum on Matronics is pretty active, I was there a lot when I had mine. The Kolb, Fisher, and Quicksilver Yahoo groups wasted a fair amount of my time before Yahoo gutted them. Nowadays, it's here, Biplane forum, I'm much more likely to get good info on, say, a lycoming engine or a Scott tailwheel than I would here... though Google searches often bring me to the Short Wing Pipers forum. Pilots of America, to see how the other half lives and play the part of the hillbilly cousin.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Biplane forum. They cut out the silly upfront.
I gave up on the biplane forum when they started charging. I’m more than happy to financially support HBA, but something about the biplane forum just didn’t inspire me to pay.

Plus, my source for all things Pitts is a friend and neighbor.

BJC

robertl

If you're interested in the MiniMax line of aircraft, the East Tennessee Lonesome Buzzards was very active some years ago, I can't say how they are now, haven't been there for some years.
Bob

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
~90% of my forum time is here. (Going to be less as soon as I have a place to work on aircraft projects again 💔)
At one time I spent a lot of time on Q-talk (Quickies Q-2/200) but that group pretty much turned social rather than builders....And Yahoo finally put the last nail in the Groups coffin.
I also have interest in the Dark Side - and check in on the Rotary Wing Forum from time to time.