The Flying Pinto...Thanks to B Clayton

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

spduffee

Hi Brian and all, I asked Brian about his avatar. It looked to me like a Ford Pinto, but I assumed it was via Photoshop. Brian confirmed it was indeed a flying Pinto and I googled it. Here's a great video (maybe I am the only one who has never seen it....). I had a Pinto, and I would not have ever thought taking to the sky with it. Galpin Motors - AVE Mizar - The Flying Pinto - YouTube

Brian Clayton

What would have made it perfect is if it had floats too.... If you like vintage cars (even though the pinto is indeed a classic in a class of its own) I think there was a flying Hudson too. I really don't see why someone doesn't do it today, with a Honda Fit or Smart car or something like that. Of course, the expression on the DAR's face when you call him out for the inspection of your "homebuilt" might be priceless. JATO's would be extra cool too.

spduffee

Haha, like the Darwin Awards...in fact, watching the Galpin Ford video, I couldn't help thinking of that movie. That is what was novel and practical about the AeroCar. Drive it around town, hook up and fly over the town, unhook it and drive home again. The Smart and others would be great for that. I'm going to see if Galpin Motors is still around....

spduffee

Haha, like the Darwin Awards...in fact, watching the Galpin Ford video, I couldn't help thinking of that movie. That is what was novel and practical about the AeroCar. Drive it around town, hook up and fly over the town, unhook it and drive home again. The Smart and others would be great for that. I'm going to see if Galpin Motors is still around....yes, they are. No mention of a flying Pinto. Too bad.
I found it hard to believe (in the video) that all of the mods for flight wouldn't interfere with driving (the rudder pedals, steering wheel) or that the thing could be considered STOL by any means at around 2000lbs plus the wings and powerplant. The takeoff is heavily blurred by the heat from the tarmac...

Brian Clayton

Seriously though, I don't see the age of the car being a issue for safety, its not like airbags or side impact beams would help. The most aerodynamic body and lightest would be the best choice. Heck, just hang a motorcycle under a set of wings with their own landing gear. Or two motorcycles for a passenger. Gives new meaning to the name "airbike"

spduffee

for people who don't care where they are going or how long it takes to get there.
Like when I drive to work....
I had a motorcycle for some time and long journeys just weren't very comfortable. I wonder how the rider maintains on a long "drive" with the balloon?
I wonder how well the arms within the DOT work together, meaning one dept. has to verify the roadworthiness, the other has to verify the airworthiness.
It's a shame the Smolinskis didn't continue with the Flying Pinto idea. Imagine, that was in 1971-73. Where would we be 40 years later?

spduffee

Ha! That was cool! When I was a college student in Aachen one of my jobs was balloon chaser for a small firm. I unpacked, set up and erected the balloons for their "drive" (one did not fly a balloon, one drove it). Then I had to chase it in a Scooby-doo looking van, break out the buffet and champagne, arrange the certificates and pack the balloon. I never saw the balloon rise quite that quickly. And I would never have coupled a balloon with a glider in my wildest dreams. The first 100m must have been pretty special for the pilot.....

topspeed100

Banned
What I find a bit annoying in this MIZAR Pinto is that it has both car engine and aviation engine in the same contraption. Just belting a Skymaster wings and tailfeathers into Pinto is a lame approch and results in poor performance. It is a good joke, but it should have been abandoned right after it flew once.