The Flying Cowboys and my Mission Change

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Will Aldridge, Jun 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 27, 2019 #1

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

A search of this site yielded no threads specifically about the Flying Cowboys, since they are one of the main reasons for my change in mission I thought I would at least make it slightly easier for those searching the forums to find them.

Their web site is here: https://flyingcowboys.com/

Long story short a bunch of Bush pilots helped some ranchers who have some land deep in a canyon and the only access is by air or raft. One year high water/dangerous river conditions made them ask for help from these Bush pilots to access their land and animals. So cowboys is a real working title not indicative of a careless attitude towards flying.

Mike Patey is probably one of the best known for his turbine powered Wilga:

And Trent Palmer is the other. He is a drone pilot that flies a Kitfox for fun and promotes aviation with his flying videos.

For the longest time I wanted to fly WWII warbirds and the plane I was designing and building reflected that but a combination of getting older and perhaps more than anything else the following three videos made me change my focus to low and slow backcountry flying and I bought a Kitfox I'm working on upgrading.

All those videos are a single day's adventure in Utah which happens to be where I live. After seeing those I ate up everything else I could find.

One of the Flying Cowboys objectives is to promote general aviation and although I didn't need convincing they did change my focus significantly. I hope you all enjoy the videos as much as I did.

2. Jun 27, 2019 #2

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Nice to see you still in the game. I can attest from experience that missions change and they rarely survive first contact with actual experience. Once I started flying my mission evolved rapidly. It will be interesting to see if your current mission survives.

3. Jun 27, 2019 #3

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I enjoy watching the Trent Palmer and Mike Patey vids as they do types of flying I don't currently. Mike does everything from mountain top STOL stuff to Reno to speed records and seems to have limitless energy (and money). Met him at Reno briefly and he's a super friendly and enthusiastic guy- just as he comes across in his vids. I think both these guys have fired the flying and adventure spirits in pilots and non-pilots alike. Cool stuff they do. Trent puts together some fine content with good editing.

Chris In Marshfield and BJC like this.
  4. Jun 27, 2019 #4

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

I would like to point out for those that haven't looked into the Patey twins background that they came from a large family with limited financial resources and that they have the money and the toys that that do because they worked their butts off to get it. They started their first business when they were 14 and haven't stopped creating new businesses.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    BJC likes this.
  5. Jun 27, 2019 #5

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Yup that limitless energy got Mike where he is financially to be able to enjoy all these things. Exactly why I mentioned this in my post. A very smart and hard working guy. I hope that part inspires people as well...

Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  6. Jun 28, 2019 #6

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Just parked one row over from Mike and Draco today. He was dealing with the fuel guy so I didn't go over and bug him.

7. Jun 29, 2019 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Will, forgive me for sticking my nose in where it wasn't invited, but please just remember that one of the guys who was flying with that group darn near checked out of this planet a few months ago doing slow speed things in a Kitfox. Please verify this with a real aerodynamicist and airfoil expert (absolutely NOT me), but I believe the later Kitfoxes have an airfoil with a sharper leading edge than the older ones. The newer ones have much better overall performance, and are very capable STOL airplanes... but when you smooth out and "speed up" any airfoil to achieve higher "overall" performance, there is probably some loss or lift or sharper stall behavior at the very bottom end. Again, verify this with someone who can quantify it. And do not for a minute think I am questioning or bashing the low speed capability of the KF... just make darn sure you have a bunch of practice at the ragged low end of the speed range before you go out and play with those guys for real. The two groups of guys in all the videos (one group in Ohio, and the Palmer bunch on the west coast) are pretty much at the leading edge of this new "sport flying extreme STOL" movement. It's different than what the guys in Alaska do.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  8. Jun 29, 2019 #8

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Will Aldridge

Well VB I appreciate the concern for my welfare but I'm not going to be doing exactly what they do. I have a Kitfox model 1 and it's not up to that kind of extreme stuff at least they way it's set up now, and i have no plans to put larger than 8.5 x 6 tires on it(currently has 8 x 6). I don't deny I'm probably going to indulge the desire to run some canyons maybe take some camping gear to a remote back country strip, but finding out how small a patch of dirt i can land on in the middle of a river isn't something I'm itching to try (yet).

Regarding the airfoil models 1-3 have an undercambered round nosed airfoil, models 4-7 have a Riblett airfoil that supposed to be much better behaved in the stall and better cruise speeds with very slightly reduced stol performance. One of the mods I'm considering is using the new leading edge profile that kitfox sells. There's a number of threads on the subject on the kitfox forums that ive been reading.

As for the accident you mention,

I don't think he was an offical member of the flying cowboys although he's a close friend of Trent Palmer. It was a stall spin accident from about 150 ft in fairly open terrain, yes off airport but not extreme stol. It was the kind of accident that can bite any pilot in a moment of inattention and it happened in a kitfox 7 which has the Riblett airfoil.

9. Jul 4, 2019 #9

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Chris In Marshfield likes this.