The End of the Rotax 582 UL

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Goflybefree

Unfortunate news for those who operate ultralights with two stroke Rotax engines ....

Now Rotax needs to step up and make a 50-60 hp four stroke in the 582 weight range. Not everyone needs, wants or can afford a 912.

I wonder if there is more to this story than lack of demand ? Perhaps tightening emissions standards ?

Last edited:

Brünner

HBA Supporter
There's still the Simonini Victor. Seems to be a good swap:

John.Roo

First step was end of production of popular Rotax 503.
Now is Rotax 582 - nice affordable engine for homebuilders.

Next step?
I suppose that it will be end of Rotax 912 (UL and ULS) with carburators.

Question is what engine will be available when production of "normal" ICE cars will be stopped and fuel price will rise....

blane.c

HBA Supporter
With computer aided design and machining and even printing it is a wonder that a do it yourself engine isn't already online. Billet crank and cases and buy the cylinders, pistons and sundry items. Even at the cost of billet metal it is likely cheaper than new engine from name manufacturer.

Daleandee

A friend has an MZ-202 engine on his Flightstar. Haven't run it a lot but so far it seems to be quite a decent engine.

Website here: http://www.fiate.net/en/

Dennis Carley at UflyIt is a dealer with engines, parts, and service: MZ Engines

John.Roo

With computer aided design and machining and even printing it is a wonder that a do it yourself engine isn't already online. Billet crank and cases and buy the cylinders, pistons and sundry items. Even at the cost of billet metal it is likely cheaper than new engine from name manufacturer.
Design and production of ICE engine sounds easy? Really?
How many really succesfull conversions of existing engines from automotive industry are available? And that is "only simple conversion" of existing engine....
If you like to play and solve many many problems - try to make your own engine.
If you like to fly - buy existing and well approved propulsion system ;)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
There are millions and millions and millions of ICE engines in the world. Maybe even a million aircraft certified ICE's that exist.

If some horrific Twilight Zone episode occurrence happens and Bill Mumy wishes all the aircraft ICE's out into the cornfield, we have millions of small car, motorcycle, and lawnmower engines to fool with that can keep us in the air to some degree.

Maybe by then a viable battery will have been developed, and the upgrades to the power grid to charge them up too.

John.Roo

There are millions and millions and millions of ICE engines in the world. Maybe even a million aircraft certified ICE's that exist.

If some horrific Twilight Zone episode occurrence happens and Bill Mumy wishes all the aircraft ICE's out into the cornfield, we have millions of small car, motorcycle, and lawnmower engines to fool with that can keep us in the air to some degree.

Maybe by then a viable battery will have been developed, and the upgrades to the power grid to charge them up too.

Exactly - there is a lot of engines available so why to spent time and money to produce another one? :cool:

Beragoobruce

A friend has an MZ-202 engine on his Flightstar. Haven't run it a lot but so far it seems to be quite a decent engine.
I ran an MZ202 on my MiniMax Eros for a couple of years. I found it to be an excellent engine, with masses of power, good fuel economy, easy to start, and very reliable. All that and lighter than a 503.

pylon500

Unfortunate news for those who operate ultralights with two stroke Rotax engines ....
Now Rotax needs to step up and make a 50-60 hp four stroke in the 582 weight range. Not everyone needs, wants or can afford a 912.
I wonder if there is more to this story than lack of demand ? Perhaps tightening emissions standards ?
Unfortunately I don't see Rotax introducing a 50~60hp four stroke for the price of a 582...
It's odd that they are discontinuing the (aviation)582 as they still make an assortment of two stroke snowmobile engines 🤔
Maybe Yamaha could look at adapting some 500cc four stroke triple?

ToddK

HBA Supporter
The 65hp hirth is now priced at $12k with a gearbox. Thats more then a 90hp Victor 2. The MZ is now the only new, simple, ready to hang affordable engine in the 503/582 price range. I wonder if Uflyit has sold any of the new production engines.

allonsye

See ‘ya wouldn’t want to be ‘ya. Afterall, according to Rotax, in the 1st page of operations manual they state “WARNING - this engine by virtue of its design is subject to sudden stoppage. Engine stoppage can result in crash landings, forced landing, and no power landings……….lead to serious injury or death.” Of course, I (and many others) had to go out and prove this is correct. Thankfully I’m alive to say yep, they’re not lying.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
See ‘ya wouldn’t want to be ‘ya. Afterall, according to Rotax, in the 1st page of operations manual they state “WARNING - this engine by virtue of its design is subject to sudden stoppage. Engine stoppage can result in crash landings, forced landing, and no power landings……….lead to serious injury or death.” Of course, I (and many others) had to go out and prove this is correct. Thankfully I’m alive to say yep, they’re not lying.
Why did it stop?

Daleandee

Why did it stop?
Great question!

My experience with two strokes were that most stoppages were fuel related. Although I did have a Rotax 503 shut down when both ignitions shut down at the same time.

I was climbing out with a student in the front seat (back in the ultralight training days). Hard slip into a field was the answer as to what to do next. A tear down of the engine showed one the the plates on a coil on the stator had come loose and when caught in the flywheel went around and destroyed the wiring to the ignitions.

Very rare occurrence (only knew of one other case) but I was told that Rotax knew of the potential and had changed the glue that was holding them together.

n3puppy

Back in June Yamaha announced a joint venture with Shinmaywa to develop a small plane using Yamaha engine technology. Will be based on of their Parallel twin 4 stroke engines.

Chip Erwin is marketing what he calls a "Cam Am Style" 800cc 60hp 4 stroke V-twin based on what sounds like a very similar engine to what BRP/Rotax uses in their off road vehicles.

If Rotax actually WANTS to be in the single place aviation market anymore, they can make something based on their high volume parallel twin Snow, or V-twin off-road engines.

Same way they adapted their two stroke snow engines to aviation way back in the 80's.

0B438019-AECF-432D-B76E-E2C4C66972B0.pngFC845FD0-A5EB-437D-87B8-2E38D0CCF0ED.jpeg

PMD

For Rotax to get dragged back into small engine production, IMHO we would need to have another Ron Shettler in our midst - and I am not aware of any such luminary.

Gregory Perkins

You may remember that Rotax modified the 503 as necessary to create the "508" 4 stroke
engine and marketed in the USA for a while back in the 80s. It was a great motor but not nearly so profitable as the 503 so they quickly discontinued it. Every writeup said it was fantastic.