The "Don't turn back" thing:

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by PTAirco, Jul 18, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 10, 2012 #41

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

[video]http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=e09a47ce0eba[/video]

A good example where a decision speed/distance/time would have avoided any damage or injury...

2. Aug 10, 2012 #42

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

The video posted yesterday of a controlled flight into trees in a Stinson was almost chilling in that the pilot gave no indication of realizing that he wasn't climbing --no pulling on of flaps or anything at all --no brace call etc --the slow motion version was just like the real time one and pure luck that they weren't killed . I once flew across about 100 plus miles of complete wilderness (Australian Alps with a pilot who owned sawmills in remote valleys and actualy dropped his payroll from the air --"pennies from heaven" ( it was John Buckley -Ben Buckley's brother, if HITC might even know him ) --en route I asked what he would do if we had power failure and he instantly pointed out a stand of "wooly butt" (young mountain ash trees ) and detailed how he would do a 'ballistic' landing UP slope and flop down on to them in a full stall --the springy saplings will arrest your descent and make for a survivable arrival --if you can pick your crashing place this is not bad advice . Ben Buckley landed in a Pawnee during a blizzard in exactly this fashion and walked away from it (they hiked in with spanners and pulled the engine apart and instruments etc removed so remote was it ) It might be easier for a lumberman to identify the type of trees but was quite clear after I was shown (we had a Libelle land in trees and end up wedged thirty feet or more above ground many years ago --getting to the ground inflicted the only injuries to the ,stupid, pilot --he was on the downwind side of the mountain and had no experience with even slope soaring.

3. Aug 10, 2012 #43

revkev6

revkev6

revkev6

why does that classroom scene from top gun come to mind where maveric gets chewed out even though it worked....

4. Jan 7, 2013 #44

macdonca

macdonca

macdonca

at 3 hrs of instruction my CFI and I pulled up to the hold short line and I was hoping not to screw up my call to the tower. Got clearance, we start rolling and he asks "what are you going to do if the engine quits?" My reply of "UMMMMMM" apparantly wasnt satisfactory and he pulled the throttle and said "Well you better come up with some kinda plan." This guy would repeatedly pull the throttle to force me to "anticipate" that he is going to pull the throttle at anytime and I better have a "plan".

I wouldnt pidgeon hole yourself into thinking that you have to make "the turn" and land on a runway. If you can make it, great, but I wouldnt even think about it unless I was ABSOLUTELY sure I could make it. Why wind up in the trees trying to get to a runway when you can put it in the grass, a taxiway, a ramp, a field, a golf course, ect. There is actually a fair number of viable e-landing strips if you study the surroundings.

5. Jan 21, 2013 #45

X Pilot

X Pilot

X Pilot

Practice at safe altitudes.
    Each aircraft is different. Know your aircraft!
    Always think ...."what if, right now" ?

bmcj likes this.