The Defender

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Tonight I only made it as far chasing tanks through a cornfield in a borrowed Beech Bonanza. I'm going to have to carve out some time to finish this!

rv6ejguy

I met this guy and toured his farm when I was a teen. Crazy guy with some wacky ideas. Terrible workmanship but quite the character. Interesting as they say...

vtul

I really enjoyed that!

My wife watched it too. She said if she was married to him she'd kill him in his sleep.

Tiger Tim

How did they make that movie? Were those actors recreating several decades of his life?
It began as an honest documentary but the director quickly saw how things really were and switched the tone to very tongue-in-cheek. The National Film Board of Canada really seems to enjoy highlighting the "characters" in our fine country.

If you like fringe Canadians, take the time to watch Project Grizzly some rainy afternoon.

Tcreek

I live a few miles away from Bobs Friendship Field. I believe he is working on
some sort of a WIG now. Was it not the Defender that he hits with the hammer?
He has gone from steam to jet engines and everything in between, quite the guy.

PTAirco

He does have a point about the ridiculous pricetag on modern fighters. In the end it's a thing that goes fast, launches a missile or spits bullets. It's debatable whether that goal needs all that extraneous technology and cost. If you could produce a fighter at one tenth the cost, you can have ten times as many. How would an F18 fare against something like ten F5s?

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator
HBA Supporter
Log Member
How would an F18 fare against something like ten F5s?
Quite well, I expect. The air force fielding the F-5s would have trouble recruiting pilots since they chose economy without regard to the lives of their pilots; the cockpits would likely be empty.

Himat

How would an F18 fare against something like ten F5s?
Quite well, I expect. The air force fielding the F-5s would have trouble recruiting pilots since they chose economy without regard to the lives of their pilots; the cockpits would likely be empty.
In any air to air fighter engagement the side that can fight on its preferred terms usually win. In this example a F-18 against ten airplanes with F-5 capabilities the F-18 would down as many opponents it carries missiles. Given the F-18 have AWACS, tanker, jammer and SIGINT support that make the opponent limited to flying visual with short range IR guided missiles and gun armament. It still better not engage in a close in gunfight and disengage when out of long and medium range missiles.

Turn the table, a lone F-18 with radar and communications jammed, the tanker chased away leaving no fuel to light the afterburner against ten F-5 capability airplanes vectored in by ground control from different directions. The F-18 pilot would be lucky to score a single hit before beeing shot down. Actually the F-18 pilot would be successful if he managed to get away at all.

Group Builder