The CFM Shadow - thoughts, opinions?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

C.D. Donald

There is a simple resolution to the noise of the prop and the FOD problem.

Put a ducted shroud around the prop; reduces noise and protects the prop.
A ducted fan isn't a perfect panacea for FOD. That is, we still get damage on the high bypass fans (CFM-56s, etc.) at work.

Chilton

Until I read this thread I had always thought that the Shadow was a single seat. So I'm not surprised that the back seat is tiny!
Depends on the actual model, some were single seaters. One of David Cook last variants was the Star Streak with a Rotax 912, smaller wing and single seat, also the well known long range specials and the very early (first 12 I think) were single control flat floor and effectively single seat.
To be fair to the Shadow, while it is far from being a favourite of mine the performance was great for its day and even with the Rotax 447, 2 on board still climbed and cruised surprisingly well.

Rob de Bie

I visited the CFM factory back in 1995, and I probably have some photos stored somewhere. It was during a study tour with some 15 fellow aerospace engineering students. We had been invited by a friend that had graduated a few years earlier. It looked reasonably professional for a small outfit. But our friend was less enthousiastic. He told us David Cook did not believe in Timoshenko's beam theory, and also that additional supports were used in static load tests of the wing. The visit left a mixed bag of impressions..

Rob

bebedriver

HBA Supporter
I've owned 3, built one of them and flew over 1000hrs in them..... fantastic for it's day and only one fatality since they were put into production and that was probably down to a stroke or heart attack. Mot fast in a straight line but effectively un-spinnable. Don't even think of comparing it with a Kolb or a Challenger, it's light years ahead in handling! Used in military roles with Kevlar armour and anti poacher work in Africa, I could go on but there are plenty of folk to add to this.

bebedriver

HBA Supporter
I visited the CFM factory back in 1995, and I probably have some photos stored somewhere. It was during a study tour with some 15 fellow aerospace engineering students. We had been invited by a friend that had graduated a few years earlier. It looked reasonably professional for a small outfit. But our friend was less enthousiastic. He told us David Cook did not believe in Timoshenko's beam theory, and also that additional supports were used in static load tests of the wing. The visit left a mixed bag of impressions..

Rob
I don't know where you got that info from! I saw the load tests and no supports were needed. The struts were only added for ground handling loads.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
David Cook has a book which is available electronically via Amazon which discusses his designs their history. Also has amusing Volmer Jensen stories.

Rob de Bie

I don't know where you got that info from! I saw the load tests and no supports were needed. The struts were only added for ground handling loads.
I mentioned the source: that's what our friend told us. He worked there as an engineer, and he was quite frustrated by the working methods of the company. If your boss says he does not believe in standard engineering theory (Timoshenko beam theory), all your structural engineering knowledge is suddenly no longer applicable - that must be complicated. The memories of the story of the additional supports is a strong one, I was flabbergasted when I heard it.

I wasn't there when the tests were done, I did not see anything, just recalling some stories we were told. No more, no less.

Rob

Rob de Bie

A friend paid for a Streak Shadow kit which was never supplied, apparently he was only one of many who were defrauded before CFM was suddenly shut down.
Now that you mention the shutdown: our friend at CFM called us maybe 1.5 years later, asking us to send him all the photos we made in the factory. What had happened: overnight the directors had removed all essential jigs from the factory, anticipating maybe a bankruptcy or a take-over, I don't know exactly. Without the jigs nothing could be produced. They needed the photos for the legal proceedings. I guess this was in 1997?

Rob

Rob de Bie

Wikipedia says:

"During the years that the Shadow and its variants were being produced, its manufacturer had a number of financial crises. Cook Flying Machines, trading as CFM Metalfax Ltd went into receivership in 1996, but was refinanced as CFM Aircraft Ltd. This in turn went into receivership in 2002 and the assets were bought up by Bella Aviation. Bella Aviation ceased trading after Shadows were grounded by the CAA, as a result of an issue with the original undercarriage. "

Seems I was one year off regarding the first crisis.

CFM Shadow - Wikipedia

Rob

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I've owned 3, built one of them and flew over 1000hrs in them..... fantastic for it's day <snipped> Don't even think of comparing it with a Kolb or a Challenger, it's light years ahead in handling!
What in CURRENT trading, in this class (UK SSDR, French/EASA Microlight, US Part 103) is better? Either than the Streak Shadow or the Kolb or Challenger?

bebedriver

HBA Supporter
Ah, I get you. Well I think for 2 seaters the choice is pretty wide, with most your side of the pond! I'm sure there are others better qualified to comment. Value wise, when the Shadow was available, a kit was more expensive than a Kitfox at that time, so you need to look at today's prices to get the same relativity.