• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

the Binford Clamp-O-Matic 5000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

Since my "clamp-less" Ranger project is taking every clamp I can find... :oops:
20190819_115828_resized.jpg

The 'clecoed wood' idea is working out great for aligning the parts but they're not supplying enough clamping pressure (some do, some don't, it's not reliable). So I came up with some quick and dirty clamps that take care of alignment and clamping pressure.

Ranger clamps6.JPG
Ranger clamps7.JPG
The grey lines show the stick and the plywood and the 1/8" offset that I need for the top and bottom skins. The top clamp is for stock that's pretty close to 3/4" square (+/- a few thousandths). The bottom one let's me get away with stock that's a little farther out than that. ...not that any of my stock is more than .002 out

The mustache clamp replaces the tin cans full of nuts and bolts in the top picture. It applies pressure over about 5 1/2", perfect for the typical 6" cleco spacing. The #6 Nylon bolt goes up through a cleco hole that's in the middle of the panel where edge clamps wont reach.

Ranger clamps4.JPG
Ranger clamps5.JPG
There's just enough bow in it to apply even pressure along the whole clamp when the wing nut pulls the center down to the wood.

Here's the general idea...
Ranger clamps1.JPG
Ranger clamps2.JPG
Ranger clamps3.JPG

A set of three (one of each) cost about 10 cents and takes about 30 minutes to print. Most of that is the mustache, but I'll only a half dozen of those.
20190819_184026_resized.jpg

...continued on next post because I hit the picture limit :mad:

Last edited:
Back