The big video topic

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by autoreply, Oct 20, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 28, 2019 #1381

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Hmmmm... headsets with no boom microphones or contact (throat) mics?

2. Oct 28, 2019 #1382

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

I'd guess hand mikes stowed low and out of sight.

You can see the jacks on the panel in the foreground in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    Label over the jack on the left says, "Airplane Inter", the center label says, "Flight Deck Inter," and that thing on the right is a light, labeled "TRANS ON".

Need notice that "Howard" looked steely-eyed out the left and right windows as he did a control check. Mind you, all the control surfaces were out of sight. But it certainly might have just been force of habit.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Speedboat100 and bmcj like this.
  3. Oct 28, 2019 #1383

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Cool, you got the inside tour! :) Was that at Evergreen? I or to tour it at Long Beach... it’s an incredible plane. Did they let you up into the room in the rudder, out through the wing maintenance walk, or up on top?

If (and that’s a big IF) I can find them, I’ll have to post some of my photos.

4. Oct 28, 2019 #1384

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Evergreen. Got a set of in-laws just 40 minutes away, and I usually duck out to the museum when visiting. I'm a member of Seattle's Museum of Flight, and they have reciprocity, so I get free admission.

Late friend was a docent there, and we got access to main payload bay and the flight deck, not the top of the wing or rudder area (though we could see down the length of the fuselage). Couldn't go into the wing, but they had lights installed and a plexiglass door so you could look down the length. Did have the hatch over the pilot seat open, so I was able to stand and look down the length of the fuselage.

Took a look through my photos to try to spot microphone and headset jacks (I figured they wouldn't leave mikes out on the open for folks to take). That shot from the co-pilot seat was the only place I saw one...didn't even find one on my photo of the radio operator's station. Probably one there, just didn't catch it.

Found one error in my previous post (corrected)...the "jack" on the right is actually a light, labeled "TRANS ON".

Ron Wanttaja

bmcj likes this.
  5. Oct 28, 2019 #1385

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

More Spruce Goose photos:

Panel:
    [​IMG]

Photo taken down the length of the fuselage. I believe the beach balls were meant for additional flotation (these aren't originals, of course).
    [​IMG]
    A shot down the internal wing walk:
    [​IMG]
    This was fun...it's a direction-finding antenna, mounted INSIDE the fuselage. You can kinda get away with that, with a wooden airframe. My Fly Baby's comm antennas are all internal. You can see the inside of the nose, on the right side of this shot.
    [​IMG]
    Ron Wanttaja

6. Oct 28, 2019 #1386

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

That’s one of the things that really struck me about the plane is the incredible view the pilot had out of those huge windows.

BTW, were the beach balls added as the result of an Airworthiness Directive, or were they getting ready to fly an emergency supply mission to some south seas beach?

7. Oct 28, 2019 #1387

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

I think someone told Howard that he'd need a lot of balls to fly that airplane....

Speaking curious hardware, there was this little item behind the pilot seat:
    [​IMG]
    I knew Hughes was tall, but that's still one heck of a high relief tube.... :)

Actually the end was pivotable, and it could be adjusted to be near the pilot's face. I'm guessing it was for ventilation. Might have been a communications tube, like ships used to have, but the end funnel is too big for that.

Ron Wanttaja

delta, Speedboat100 and bmcj like this.
  8. Oct 28, 2019 #1388

robertl

robertl

robertl

Well, if you want to get technical, what about; CHOPERGIRLAIR-WAR.ORG ? Is this a real war site ? Just wondering since we're dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's !!!
    Bob

bmcj likes this.
  9. Oct 29, 2019 #1389

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

if it rotated down to the seat level it could be a relief tube. .....but with an aircraft that big one could get up and walk around to something similar to what is in an airliner, or in those days probably just a seat over a hole out the fuselage.

10. Oct 29, 2019 #1390

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Your first inclination was correct. The tubes were added to provide a fresh air supply to the pilot. I think it might have been out of concern because of the onboard gasoline-powered generators.

11. Oct 31, 2019 #1391

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Is reverse thrust really reverse thrust, if it's not reverse at all but just deflected downward to create more drag? Is a black box really a black box, when it's not black at all, but International Orange?

Rev X Unfolding trike

12. Nov 1, 2019 #1392

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

13. Nov 1, 2019 #1393

Gyrojeffro

Gyrojeffro

Gyrojeffro

14. Nov 1, 2019 #1394

AdrianS

AdrianS

AdrianS

Wellington airport opening:

Exactly sixty years ago ... the official opening of the new airport, and Paul will never forget the heart-stopping moment when a giant delta-wing Vulcan bomber almost crashed right in front of him. There were other near-misses in the gale-force northerly winds of that day, most notably when a Sunderland flying boat making a low pass actually hit the runway, punched a hole in its keel and almost sunk on its return to base.

Vigilant1 and Speedboat100 like this.
  15. Nov 1, 2019 #1395

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Thanks Adrian. Great video!

I attended multiple (weekend) days at a big 9-day government airshow (transportation expo) at Dulles Airport in DC back is 1972, called Transpo 72. This was the first year of what was supposed to be an annual show, but four crashes sealed its fate in that first year. The crashes were due to misfortune, not the weather. I witnessed all three of the infield crashes on the field (all, unfortunately, fatal). One was a pylon racer that lost a wing after a midair, one was a flameout during a vertical climb in one of the Thunderbird’s F-4’s (pilot ejected safely, but his canopy was blown back into the big fireball and flaming wreckage), one was the ‘Australian Birdman’ who Was flying a Rogallo wing being towed by a car when it released, pitched up and over, and the pilot fell into the wing and it collapsed around him. I think the tow car was going a little too fast leading to a very steep climb and release/rope breakage.

The fourth crash was not on the field, but involved an F-111 that had just flown a demo and was outbound after the demo when it went down.

16. Nov 1, 2019 #1396

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Took a friend for a ride the other day. He's a pilot but hasn't flown in awhile, the usual young family driven hiatus.

bmcj likes this.
  17. Nov 1, 2019 #1397

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Soaring trike.

18. Nov 3, 2019 #1398

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    robertl likes this.
  19. Nov 3, 2019 #1399

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There may be a lot of female pilots and builders on HBA. Maybe they just see the gender thing as not especially relevant to building and flying. They might just want to be known as builders and flyers, no other tags needed.

20. Nov 5, 2019 #1400

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Sad

Geraldc and Speedboat100 like this.