The big video topic - 2021

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

davbrown135

SB100...

KC-135A lost 2-engines, LH wing, during desert storm [1990].

In combat trail formation, it encountered severe turbulence from the wing-tip vortices of a 'leading KC-135A... which overloaded/broke-away the [#2 IB] pylon/engine... which sideswiped the adjacent [#1 OB] engine as it departed the wing... causing that pylon/engine to break-away, also. The crew managed to land at a emergency/divert airfield which saved their jet and butts.
View attachment 107639
That was an "E" model KC-135 out of Grissom.

wktaylor

DavBrown135... You have proven my faulty memory and lousy postage-stamp photos make for significant mistakes.

You are absolutely correct: mishap jet was a KC-135E [not A] from Grissom AFB [now Grissom ARB] TANG.

At the time I was worried about this incident while I was overseas... especially since that jet had have been modified from A-to-E no more than ~10-Yrs prior for that structural failure.... and we were seeing escalating structures and systems issues with the 'KCs/ECs/RCs 'A-models' at Kadena [severe corrosion environment].

delta

Lightweight, compact 3.0 liter, 349 ft lbs torque @ 1400 rpm. I'll be checking junkyard prices in the next year or two. Sounds like something I might want to fly behind.

Deuelly

Log Member
Some of our planes started out on their way to Oshkosh. I've put a video of them departing below. Unfortunately, the P-38 had some issues and had to return to base. The Hellcat flew his wing and was eyes for him on the way back. The P-40 continued on to the show.

We'll get the P-38 fixed up and it and the Hellcat will get to the show tomorrow.

Brandon