The best of times

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Aug 8, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 8, 2018 #1

BJC

BJC

BJC

Just sitting here by the fire pit (I love the smell of a good oak fire) sipping my coffee, thinking about life today, and specifically as it relates to homebuilding and sport aviation.

I have concluded that I am living in the best time, for me, in history. Sure, as a kid I always wanted to have been a mercenary pilot with the American Volunter Group, but I eventually got over that. I went through that same process multiple times with different aspirations, but, as things turned out, sport aviation related things couldn’t be much better for me.

Want a hang glider? Really good ones are available. Ditto every category of sport aircraft, including ultralights, personal jets, sailplanes, puddle hoppers and really fast cross country and race planes. (No, they aren’t free. Nothing worthwhile in life is; if you want it you need to work for it.)

The internet, as well as this forum, have made information (and BS) readily available to anyyone who is willing to go look. Everything from design tools, academic courses, how-to videos, basic design criteria, and, mostly right here, thoughtful answers from experienced designers, builders and pilots. (And some of that BS stuff too, but that just makes it interesting.)

So, if you could choose to live in a different time, when would it be, and why?

BJC

2. Aug 8, 2018 #2

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I'm with you, right now is the best. Even if you're the nostalgic type, today we have the means of obtaining and maintaining things that the original owners never could have imagined in their wildest dreams.

3. Aug 8, 2018 #3

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I just wish "they" would put the taste back in tomatoes.

BJC likes this.
  4. Aug 8, 2018 #4

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Maybe it's not the tomatoes...........just sayin'

5. Aug 8, 2018 #5

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I've walked on this spinning nut house for nearly 70 years and this is the worst I've ever seen it... (that includes my stint looking for the remains of pilots off the shores of Vietnam) but I can endure this insane era because we live far from the madding crowds and I don't have to put up with anything I don't want to. As to the time I would like to live, ah yes France in the late 1700's and early 1800's where I would design and build the guitars like Laprevotte and Lacote.... in Mirecourt of course where the magic of lutherie was practiced with wild abandon! Bending guitar sides on a hot stove pipe... offering a guitar to Marie Antoinette ... and watching her fall in love with it... no technology and living at a pace that the soul can actually absorb without ruin...IMHO of course.

Mirecourt France

mirecourt.jpg

And it goes without saying and given I have ancestors from that part of France, I would have talked them out of setting sail for the new world.

FritzW likes this.
  6. Aug 8, 2018 #6

Pops

Pops

Pops

Living with my Grandfather ( 1876-1959) from 6 to 15 years old was the best part of my life. My family was very, very wealthy until the IRS came after my father when I was 6 years old and took every penny he had and wasn't for my Grandfather owning some land in the middle of nowhere out in the mountains, close to where his Grandfather hid out to miss the march to OK, we would have been homeless. Those years was the same as living in 1880, farming and growing everything we ate or went hungry, raising horses, etc. No electric, no nothing, 7 miles from the nearest road and many miles from the nearest small town. Taught me a lot about taking care of myself and surviving. The only thing I like about modern society is modern medicine. Wasn't for modern medicine I would have been dead several times. In some ways those were the best of times and in some ways now is the best of times.

cluttonfred, FritzW and rbrochey like this.
  7. Aug 8, 2018 #7

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

We see the world not as it is but as we are.

There's no place I'd rather be than right here right now.

Information is power. All the information you want is available from a smart phone that we carry around in our pocket. This is the age where a motivated individual with an open mind can literally do anything he/she wants. It's truly amazing to be alive right now.

Anyone from anywhere has access to aviation, assuming this person is motivated. Everything from a fan on your back to a personal jet. Design software is free. Advice is free. Help is free. We live in an age where there's groups that exist for the sole purpose of helping you fly.....for free.

Look at the power of a forum. While it's true that some use it as a sounding board to complain it's actually a seriously powerful tool that can be leveraged to get what you want.

I've used the internet to speak with some of the most famous people in aviation. Prior to the web I'm not sure how that would happen. I remember writing letters and contacting a librarian to do research. It's now available in seconds and I carry it in my pocket.

Even beyond flight just life in general is much much better. I'm very well read and that includes many biographies of people. I personally have a much better lifestyle than famous Kings and people like Carnegie. We have a sanitary system, modern health care, cars with air bags, and again...... information available for anyone at anytime.

I can look up how to lift weights, how to train for a 100 mile ultra marathon, how to eat so I don't get cancer, how to fix my car via YouTube, I can turn out quality photos and send them.....save them and print them.

We have more today than in any time in human history. A motivated person with a positive outlook is unstoppable. He can write a book and self publish, imagine that!!!!! He can manufacturer a part and sell it to others and use social meadia as free marketing. It's insane. Literally, I can hardly wrap my mind around the abundance of opportunity that exists right now.

I can pick and choose my circle of friends. I can join aviation groups and build massive networks of positive people working towards positive goals. I have a private Facebook group for my Cassutt and I've become close to many Cassutt builders because of it. My life is better because of that.

I remember what it was like to mail letters asking companies for information because we didn't have a long distance phone plan. No thanks, I'll take 2018 instead.

On any given day I text maybe 3-8 of my aviation friends and we have fun connecting. I absolutely love that! It makes for a great life to be surrounded by these people from all over the globe.

Lastly is money, which I guess I touched on already. Making money in 2018 is so incredibly easy even little kids are making money building apps etc. College courses available online for free, I can learn anything from vintage drafting to modern CAD all for free online. I can build a CNC machine and it's all available from free online. A person can literally do anything. It's so simple to make money the only missing ingredient is a motivated individual with a good attitude.

mcrae0104, FritzW, Dana and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aug 8, 2018 #8

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

— Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, published 1859

Nothing changes. We get more opportunities, we receive more travails. Life is hard. Life is easy. People have been people since before they were people, and a thousand years before Jesus walked the Earth, university students were sending clay tablet letters to their parents (in clay envelopes, I kid you not), saying, "I'm doing well in school, everything is good. Please send money."

Live now. Do the best you can with what's before you. It's the only time you've got.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    FritzW, ScaleBirdsScott and rbrochey like this.
  9. Aug 8, 2018 #9

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I'm right there with you guys who are currently happy. I too am having the time of my life. Good job, all my basic needs are met, fantastic wife, plenty of toys... Lovin it!

FritzW likes this.
  10. Aug 8, 2018 #10

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Here's another good way to look at it. Ask the right question.

Let's say I was broke and wanted to build a Hatz, how would that happen in 2018 vs 1970. 48 years later there's quite a difference.

I could go on a biplane forum and the Hatz group on Facebook and ask this question and I'd have dozens of people offering help in a matter of seconds. Not only verbal help but they would give me names and numbers of local Hatz builders and they would certainly help.

If I asked that group "hey, I can't afford to order new spars can anyone give me ideas how to find spars for cheap?" that group would certainly help, and by help I mean network to get spars for dirt cheap or free. I've seen it and been part of it. The ability to connect online has changed the lives of millions and by change i mean increase opportunity.

Take all that and add to it the fact that I live in America and I'm blown away by how much opportunity and freedom I have to do whatever I want.

FritzW likes this.
  11. Aug 8, 2018 #11

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Bonjour

12. Aug 8, 2018 #12

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I'm heading to your neck of the woods in the not too distant future, I'd sure like to meet you. I suppose since I have two adopted daughters from China and live on the edge of the Navajo Nation, both girls speaking Navajo now, I have a different view of things like Columbus... I have many Navajo friends and I assure you, they have a different opinion of the "best times". And I agree with them it isn't now. The Long Walk happened yesterday.

13. Aug 8, 2018 #13

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Are you saying I'm tasteless?

14. Aug 8, 2018 #14

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Politicians invented "inheritance tax" so they could steal everybody's family farm and livelihood. They better never tell me I have a terminal disease.

FritzW likes this.
  15. Aug 9, 2018 #15

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well, that's why these are "the best of times" like BJC said. Google how to avoid paying it.

When I was a kid I remember hearing certain adults complain about taxes. I decided to to not follow that group. It was a choice. Anybody anywhere has access to all the knowledge of the world. Wanna study how to build a business and avoid tax, Google it, study, research, learn. It's a choice no different than building a airplane, it's a choice.

FritzW and Topaz like this.
  16. Aug 9, 2018 #16

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

The thresholds are currently pretty high before inheritance tax kicks in. Right now, the first $5.6M is tax free.

17. Aug 9, 2018 #17

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

From an aviation standpoint, I'd like the homebuilt and ultralight rules of today, the airspace of 1925, the airport scene of the 1960s or 70s, and, yeah... today's internet to find out things. I think it's safe to say that paramotoring, for example, wouldn't exist without the internet, nor would the Van's RV community (though some would debate the value of the latter, great planes though they are). :shock:

But really, the poorest person alive today is wealthier in many ways than kings and queens of years gone by. OTOH, the wealthiest today are lacking many of the freedoms of the 19th century.

mcrae0104, BJC and Topaz like this.
  18. Aug 9, 2018 #18

Pops

Pops

Pops

Love to have you stop by. I grew up just a couple miles from the log cabin built in the front of a cave where my family hid out. I used to squirrel hunt in the hollow. When I was a kid, I had my Great Grandfathers power horn and shot bag from the Civil War. Your Navajo friends are right, the Long Walk happened yesterday for them also. Two of my family survived the walk to OK. One a 12 year old boy and another a 14 year old boy. The rest that was captured didn't make it. My family's members are recorded in the records on the reservation in south central OK.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    rbrochey likes this.
  19. Aug 9, 2018 #19

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Used aircraft needing work are readily available as always.
    What I see is a lack of visible activity at the local airports. I left Birchwood Airport with 300 airplanes tied outside year round. A typical Saturday was spent driving around the airport talking to owners working outside.
    Doesn't happen here. I kept my plane outside here but was the only one that did that.
    <see avatar
    The only way to get that open hangarless experience is fly-ins.

20. Aug 9, 2018 #20

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

The family farm went in the 60's, We were to busy staying alive back then to get all lawyered up and figure out the minutia. Just dumb hicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.