The answer to Gorilla glue ???

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by Tarkus, Jul 10, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 19, 2019 #141

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Heck, over here half of the people are offended by everything they can find to be offended about. Just the other day I saw a meme on Facebook that read: Trump considering buying the largest island in the world. All I did was post, “ I didn’t know Australia was for sale!” You wouldn’t believe the frickin hailstorm that brought down. . . And probably not a single Aussie was offended and responded.

2. Aug 19, 2019 #142

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Temperature and humidity, as I understand it. More here.

3. Aug 19, 2019 #143

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Yeah,

Some should get a life and learn geography.

We are the biggest island in the world and have a continent to ourselves. Also the driest country on earth. And have lowest population density on earth. Because we are so dry, and have ancient soils, we can't really have many people.

But we are not Austria- seems many in US mistake us for them. That's fine go to Austria, we don't care.

Also land of deadly spiders, most of worlds deadliest snakes, worlds biggest crocodiles and Kangaroos which can tear you open with a kick. I wont mention the sharks- they have to eat as well. Two of worlds biggest birds, Emu and Cassowary - which is deadly if cornered. No need to mention the deadly blue ring octopus- tiny or the box jellyfish even smaller.

Oh and the crocs are hungry- send more tourists apparently they taste good and too stupid to understand signs that say do not swim or you will be eaten. I wont mention the sharks- they have to eat as well. But generally our wildlife is very friendly .

Oh, I forgot the drop bears............

bmcj likes this.
  4. Aug 19, 2019 #144

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Temp and humidity makes a lot of sense.

It can be incredibly hot and humid at the same time.
    But mainly hot.

Dark colours are a huge problem down here but builders do homes with dark roofs- bloody idiots.

Heat stress is probably our number one killer esp for tourists who fail to accept advice. Which sucks for wildlife as they prefer their meals alive.

5. Aug 19, 2019 #145

BJC

BJC

BJC

mcrae0104 likes this.
  6. Aug 19, 2019 #146

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Islands are not connected to other land masses and are surrounded by water.

The other continents all connect to others, so are not considered islands.

Yes, I have left out Antarctica, but a large amounts of area are included in the ice around the coast. Additionally it is not a nation an has multiple claims of owner/stewardship.
    However it could still be the biggest island.

The Austria thing is a common mistake but I have seen multiple examples even in the media and politics from the USA. And yes previously even here on the forum.

Does not worry me, was just a comment in relation to people getting upset on line and follows comments in this thread above.

7. Aug 19, 2019 #147

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Comment on a couple of self-deleted posts: A member whom I respect suggested perhaps I was unduly directing frustration with another member at litespeed. He was right; I was wrong. Hence I deleted a couple of rather pointed posts. Litespeed, you deserved better than I was treating you.

8. Aug 19, 2019 #148

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Mcrae,

No worries mate, no offense taken or intended. I have a very thick skin- must be all the UV down here.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  9. Aug 19, 2019 #149

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Wish my wife was as sweet as you guys

10. Aug 19, 2019 #150

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

All bets are off when spouses get involved. What we will accept from friends can be fight night with a spouse.

You look at a hot women and your friends congratulate you on good taste.

A wife has a very dim view on this.

John wadman likes this.
  11. Aug 19, 2019 #151

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Tell me about it

12. Aug 19, 2019 #152

John wadman

John wadman

John wadman

Now that’s funny! I don’t care if you are an Aussie! that’s still funny. Yeah, I grew up in Panama. Most Americans don’t have a clue where it is. Some will say: oh yeah, that’s in Florida, right?! (Panama City, FL). We had quite a few deadly snakes too. And alligators and some crocs but not as big as in the “Big Island” where you are. Before I got into airplanes I was into surfing (still am), sailing, scuba diving, lots of fishing, etc. At 16 I started an underwater salvage and boat hull cleaning service in the Canal with two buddies so been around the sharks. I bought my second surfboard from a traveling Aussie. My take on Aussies Is that you guys are a pretty hardy bunch. I’ve run into Aussies all over the world in my sailing, surfing and other adventures. You guys seem to not be afraid of adventure and roughing it. Most people I run into here are afraid to go flying in a Homebuilt airplane. Had a friend named Lock from Australia that I surfed with in Costa Rica when I lived there. He invited me to come to Australia and do some outback flying with him In a Citabria. I just never had the time or money. Someday maybe. Flying all over that expanse of wild country sure does appeal to me though.

litespeed likes this.
  13. Aug 19, 2019 #153

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Aussies do tend to have a rather dry and dark sense of humour at times and a love of sarcasm.

Sometimes this goes over the heads of others.We also tend to be a bit straight to the point and that ruffles some feathers of other cultures, not generally intended just our way.

I think we are a reflection of our environment and the relative isolation prior to mass air transport. We tend to be inventive, self reliant and tough skinned. We do like adventure, travel and more than a little risk at times.

Flying the Outback is a great trip I would love to do,but it is a big planning effort. You can be beyond aircraft range between fuel stops in some places, so have to organise fuel at remote cattle stations in advance. The stations all tend to have airstrips and multiple aircraft for mustering and as the only economic way of getting to the nearest store. Some are 10hrs drive each way, so stock up and in the wet season, it can be months before the road is usable.The size of the cattle stations is hard to believe for tourists, some bigger than a small country. Take Anna Creek Station, well known as the biggest Australian cattle station: this station in the Outback of South Australia covers 6,000,000 acres, or 34,000 km2. Also the worlds biggest naturally.

Gotta love a big sky country.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    John wadman likes this.
  14. Aug 20, 2019 #154

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Friend John Gilpin has flown the outback extensively and written anout it. He tells same as you do about the logistics. 80 YO and still out there in his rigged out Savannah

John wadman likes this.