• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The aircraft "Dbay" (Take care) from Ukraine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meglin1

Dream come true

About the creation

The dream to build an airplane I lit up in 1982, after serving in the army. I wanted to make myself a little miracle. At that time, there were no plans for the purpose and specialization of the aircraft. I just decided to build a flying machine and maybe learn how to fly it. Since my health wasn't one hundred percent, I wasn't sure if I could fly. But I was an optimist and a stubborn fanatic in achieving this goal.
After moving from Kiev to Kharkiv, I got a job at the Kharkiv Aviation Plant. Here I met some guys who are just as keen on ultralight aviation as I am.
The team gathered a large one: Behter Yu. Meglinsky V., Litinsky E., Khmelik V., Kurinny S., Verevkin V. and others. All students of KHAI, who became almost all employees of the Liliental aviation company over time. All together, we built a single-seat FL-30 aircraft, the author of the project of which was Yu. Behter, who embodied his graduation project at KHAI in metal.
Well, I was able to start building my own aircraft only after gaining experience in building an airplane and gaining general theoretical knowledge in 1992.
I built this "steel bird" myself, with my own hands. The same guys from Lilienthal helped us in our strength calculations. Of course, the construction took a lot of time, effort, and money. Sometimes I even thought about giving it up. But the end result beckoned more and more with each manufactured part, with each individual assembly and assembly.
I would not advise the home-made people to build the plane alone now, because it would be too long and uninteresting. For such a case, a team of at least three people is needed, at least two of them. Then the construction process becomes more dynamic and exciting. Answering my friends and acquaintances, why I cost the plane, so hard and difficult, I wrote a quatrain:

Now any of your work has to be considered from the material side of the case. And the commercial country of the aircraft's construction was undoubtedly reflected in its design. On the wingtips, brackets for fixing tanks for spraying trichograms are installed. The layout of the aircraft allows you to use it in different directions. There is a cargo compartment that can be used to install a tank for chemical work in agriculture or other equipment.

The aircraft had to be built in different places: in the basement of a residential building, at an aircraft factory, at the Lilienthal aviation company. And the construction in the regional deltaclub under the command of Alexander Kovalenko was completed.
A dream come true. In 2002, the test pilot of "Lilienthal" Grudiy V. N. lifted the plane into the air. In 2003, test pilot Dimitrov P. V. flew around the aircraft at the Korotich airfield and determined the main flight characteristics of the aircraft. In the same year pilot-instructor Doubek M. I. taught me to fly on his plane.
There are no words, I am very happy with my creation and do not regret either the time spent, or the time spent, or my finances.
The name "Dbay" (in Russian "take care») I named my plane because everything that is created by human hands needs to be taken care of. And all the conscious activity of a person is connected with this concept, no matter how you look at it.
Now the aircraft is used for airfield training flights.

About the design

This layout – a strutted high-wing plane with a push-pull powerplant-I preferred because of the good visibility for the pilot. The only drawback of this layout is shown when the rolls in the turn, the wing console covers the view of the ground in the direction of the turn.
When choosing the design and power scheme of the aircraft, I was guided primarily by the availability and cheapness of materials.
Wood is a universal material for the construction of such light vehicles. All aviation was born and got on its feet with the help of this material. From the appropriate wood, as from plasticine, you can sculpt anything you want.
The wing of the wooden structure is clear and accessible to every home-made craftsman. And this design was very close to me. I made a classic set of parts and assembled the wing. The classic design is time-tested, it is reliable and durable, which is important for a homemade aircraft. Now wood, as a structural material, unfairly goes down in history. The classic wooden box-type spar is extremely easy to manufacture. The truss ribs are light and durable.
Plywood leading edge of the wing I liked the fact that it performs several functions: first, the perception of the torque of the wing, the second – forms and saves the profile contour sock wing, deviations can only be caused by low qualifications, third – tough sheathing is actively involved in the work of the wing bending, by adding the margin of the spar, the fourth – in operation, the Assembly-disassembly, transportation, hard plating tolerate quite sensitive to mechanical impact.
I also planned to make the fuselage wooden, it would be more logical. But I accidentally got substandard billets of the X-32 plane beam, which I re-cut to fit the size of my single-seat machine.
A beam is like a solid ridge, overgrown with "meat". The remaining structural elements are easily attached to the rectangular beam.
Under the impression of this beam, the idea appeared: why invent the bicycle, it is necessary to make the same type of tail as on the X-32. Pragmatism won: the plane is needed for flying, not for the sake of originality.
I bought the necessary pipes and assembled a similar plumage, simple and technological.
Later, at the airport, sharp tongues called the plane "Snipe".
Some difficulties arose when wiring the control of the ailerons. I lowered the height of the cockpit as much as possible to reduce the midsection of the fuselage, so layout considerations required the use of a combined control system. From the RUS node, two cables go out in both directions bypassing the pilot's seat and go back to the rigid rods, which are connected through rocking chairs with flapeyrons. To release the aileron flaps, I made the rocking axles movable. When the rocker rotation axis is moved back, the ailerons are lowered to the flaps position.
The cabin is still half-open. But I want to make it a side glass seam and a door. The fashion for open aircraft cabins seems to have already ended. Hopefully, the plastic design of the cab will allow it to be rigid, comfortable and functional.

Brief description of the design of the single-seat aircraft "Dbay"

The scheme of the aircraft "Dbay": strut high-wing with a pusher power plant and a T - shaped tail. The pilot's cabin is located in the front. Behind the pilot's seat is a fuel tank and under it is a cargo compartment.
The single-spar wing is made of wood with the use of K-153 epoxy compound. The spar is box-shaped. The spar shelves are made of pine. The walls of the spar are made of 1.5-mm aviation plywood. The ribs of the truss structure are made of pine. The nose part of the wing, which forms a closed contour, is made of 1.0 mm aviation plywood with stringer reinforcement in the most loaded sections of the wing and is covered with 0.1 mm fiberglass. The rest of the wing is covered with a "Calico" fabric with AK-20 glue glued to the frame.
The wing has slotted ailerons-flaps, having as flaps the positions 0, 10 and 20 deg, as ailerons +10/-16 deg. Wing profile - GAW-1.
The hinge of the wing center section is made of D16T at mounting brace - steel of ZOGGS.
The wing slope is profiled and made of D16T sheet, reinforced with a channel section spar.
The power part of the fuselage is a beam-frame structure, made of structural elements of the X-32 aircraft. The pylon and the longitudinal beam are of box-shaped cross-section, made of D16T-2.0. The fuselage has a fiberglass non-power cabin of a semi-open type with partial use of wood.
The control of the aircraft is standard, with a combined control wiring.
The main landing gear is of the spring type, made similarly to the landing gear of the X-32 aircraft. The front landing gear is lever-type, controlled by pedals.
The tail is of a frame structure, made of duralumin pipes and covered with fabric similar to the tail of the X-32 aircraft.
The power plant is made on the basis of the RMZ-640 "Buran" engine with a two-bladed screw of a wooden structure of a constant step or a variable plastic two-bladed screw "Donchak".
The aircraft has a minimum set of flight and navigation equipment, as well as a radio station "Breeze".

Attachments

• P5160338ev.jpg
    P5160338ev.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 44
  • P5160339ev.jpg
    P5160339ev.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 43
  • P5160340ev.jpg
    P5160340ev.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Парень.jpg
    Парень.jpg