• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Air brake Airbrake dive brake divebrake thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a quick search of the archives and found plenty of references to this subject but the were all scattered about as tangents to the original thread subject. So I thought I'd start a new thread that could be found easily with the search function ma\king it easy to reference in the future - thus the odd title.

This thread is not to be confused with approach control devices that are pretty well covered here - Precision approach control

My Duster has flaps that rotate to a 90 degree position and limit the maximum speed in a dive to the gliders Vne. It looks like I'm going to have a few pounds to play with on my part 103 project and am considering adding a similar device, but set to automatically deploy at some predetermined speed, maybe in the same way that an automatic leading edge flap does.

My questions are:

Has this been done in the past? (assuming yes)

If so, how?

Can anyone point me to a web source, or other source, where I can study up on ways to do what I'm considering?

Hazards, other than unwanted deployment or asymmetrical deployment, that I may not have considered?

Back