The A-4 Skyhawk

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Canberra. A beautiful plane, plenty of wing to allow good performance with the puny thrust of these engines. Put all the fuel you'll need to feed those engines in those big wings. Okay, not as sexy as a fighter, but it would be a thing to behold.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Canberra. A beautiful plane, plenty of wing to allow good performance with the puny thrust of these engines. Put all the fuel you'll need to feed those engines in those big wings. Okay, not as sexy as a fighter, but it would be a thing to behold.
Some long-ago friends, all homebuilders or small aircraft restorers, and EAA members, were intimately involved in morphing the B-57 into one of the RB variants.

BJC

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Sheer Beauty!

I guess the first order of business is to begin drawing up some plans.

Thanks for posting.
Yep, looks "almost" as good as an L-39.

... The bulbous canopy of the TA-4 is the main aesthetic detraction, but ultimately the primary reason it might scale down.

The picture shown looks like a pair of 6 year old kids stole their parents 1994 Chevy Impala and cant see over the steering wheel!

Last edited:

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Yep, looks "almost" as good as an L-39.

... The bulbous canopy of the TA-4 is the main aesthetic detraction, but ultimately the primary reason it might scale down.

The picture shown looks like a pair of 6 year old kids stole their parents 1994 Chevy Impala and cant see over the steering wheel!

LOL!! Each unto his own. Variety is the spice of life. I like the L-39 too!

Last edited:

Blackhawk

I've drawn a side view of the TA-4J to 60% scale; lowered the canopy for more room for the pilot (also made it longer) and lowered the air intakes to allow for the lower canopy.

It could be done to this size, but the wingspan at 60% scale is 5m (16.4 ft), it would be far better at 6m (19.68 ft) and wouldn't spoil the look of the aircraft.

At this scale it would make a fantastic aircraft.

Use my drawing as a starting point and see what you guys can come up with.

Cheers

Australian TA-4J Skyhawk to scale.png

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
I've drawn a side view of the TA-4J to 60% scale; lowered the canopy for more room for the pilot (also made it longer) and lowered the air intakes to allow for the lower canopy.

It could be done to this size, but the wingspan at 60% scale is 5m (16.4 ft), it would be far better at 6m (19.68 ft) and wouldn't spoil the look of the aircraft.

At this scale it would make a fantastic aircraft.

Use my drawing as a starting point and see what you guys can come up with.

Cheers

View attachment 107939

Thank you Blackhawk! Your a gentleman sir. I started doing some preliminary drawings yesterday.

Yellowhammer

Blackhawk

I found a "variation differences" page on the internet and it has some very interesting information.

Even though the lengths of the various models changed from 39'4" to 43'7" and the empty weights from 8400lb to 10,602lb; they all had the same wingspan 27'6"

I don't know if this would have any bearing on a scaled down version.

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
Check out the Vasyfan VF-570:

"
thank you for contacting us and considering VasyFan. Our product VF-570mm is under development, at the moment we do not have much information beyond the measurements you have seen on the site and estimated weight about 28/30 kg with the REX90 60kw motor.
I believe that in less than 2 months we will have the first prototype ready to carry out the various continuous thrust and peak thrust tests.
This Edf 570mm vera used together with the MGM HBC400400 ESC with 400V batteries.

As for the price, we are around 20,000 euros VF-570 + REX90 + HBC400400.
In our opinion it is a fairly low price compared to a jet engine of equal thrust which costs over 60,000 euros."

With a 60 kw motor a pure battery powered version would require ~500 lbs of batteries for an hour of flight. Perhaps a hybrid setup would work also. It's a design challenge.

Another possibility is to use the VasyFan and direct drive it with a 100 hp engine. The main problems with ducted fans are designing one that actually works and then building it. Very few have ever succeeded in pulling that off.

Vince Homer

Blackhawk

Another possibility is to use the VasyFan and direct drive it with a 100 hp engine. The main problems with ducted fans are designing one that actually works and then building it. Very few have ever succeeded in pulling that off.
What is the required fan rpm for a 100hp direct drive engine and what is the price for this fan unit?

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
-look

FREERCHOBBY ... up to 100 kW.

PS="AEROSYSTEMS" =600 mm diameter, 30 HP/7000 RPM= 70 kG thrust force !

I have seen this engine run and was very impressed. I also like the ducted fan system used on the "Dreamer" aircraft built by some Russians. Seems to have plenty of power. I am a huge fan of the ducted engine concept.