Quantcast

The 100HP VW--Reliable? Practical?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cavelamb

Cavelamb
What size VW engine is that, and what airframe ? Can you give me some details. Pops

Oops, I see that its a 2180 cc.
Yes, it's a 2180 - full dress! on a Texas Parasol airframe custom built for it.
The tail was extended 10 or 12 inches, and considerable weight built in back there.
Big tail wheel, etc. But were I to do it again, I'd build lighter and add ballast as required.

This one is fairly nicely overpowered too. :)
Well, nothing like the sudden acceleration it would have with a 582 Rotax, but impressive enough in a VW.
Fun, ain't it!
RollOut(29)a.JPGRanger(019).jpg

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Nice looking. Yes, looks like a lot of fun. What is your EW?

Yes, it's a 2180 - full dress! on a Texas Parasol airframe custom built for it.
The tail was extended 10 or 12 inches, and considerable weight built in back there.
Big tail wheel, etc. But were I to do it again, I'd build lighter and add ballast as required.

This one is fairly nicely overpowered too. :)
Well, nothing like the sudden acceleration it would have with a 582 Rotax, but impressive enough in a VW.
Fun, ain't it!
View attachment 22153View attachment 22154

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,
What are you getting at with the naked link? That page shows the well-known Aerovee 2180cc engine and other Sonex accessories. Is there something there about higher output than their claimed 80HP for takeoff? Sonex's turbo program is of interest, I think many folks are interested in seeing if they can sell a fully engineered and tested "customer-proof" installation that cools well and gives the performance that Sonex has obtained in their test program. It might be very promising, but the details will be important.

Schmleff

Sorry for digging up an old thread...

Reliability and longevity are subjective terms.

In late 2006 I built a 2110 cc engine (for my Sonerai I racer) based on the GPAS crank and Force One bearing. The cam was an Engle w100, the heads were CB Performance CNC round ports supported by a Revflow 34mm carb mounted under the engine. Since then until late 2012, this engine accumulated about 65 hours of flight time with most of it at full throttle spinning 4000+ rpms during testing or races. General cruise rpm was 3600rpms at 24" MAP. Fuel burn indicated that the engine made between 95-100hp at full power.

Over the past year or so I have been completing a number of modifications including a turbocharger, programable digital ignition and many other changes. During the initial ground testing, I pushed it to 56" MAP. After the testing was done, the engine was torn down for inspection and further modification. The engine showed no signs of adverse wear after many hours of "abuse".

65 hours is certainly not much time for an aircraft engine, but it never did melt. The engine showed no signs of wear, it just kept on running.

Back to my original statement... Is this engine going to see a 2000hr TBO? Not likely. Can you get away with this on a "low and slow" plane? I doubt it. Can it make 100hp safely and reliably on the right airframe? Indeed.

Jeff
Schmleff's Adventures with N1463J - Sonerai I "Skye Racer"
schmleff - YouTube

dcstrng

Reliability and longevity are subjective terms.
Agreed… the bigger issue isn’t, can it be done… the question is can it be reasonably done reliably by the average backyard hobbyist. I follow you over on Sonerai.net and Mark Langford on his site as well as krnet and a few of the other more skilled wrenches… There are some serious magicians in the experimental world, but I’d guess for most of us attempting these big numbers would spell frustration if not disaster – from my dirt-track days, there were car builders and engine builders and only rarely were they the same person for the top cars…

I’m not much of a VW guy anymore (last engine I installed was factory brand-new 1600 I bought retail for slightly less than $200, if that tells you how long ago it was… yes, Germany…) and I think for the rest of us, the almost boringly reliable 75-80hp GPAS and/or AeroVee (or Scott at Hummel, etc…) more than fill the bill – while we dream of the magic machines the upper echelon seem to be able to build… I might be able to get 100hp out of a VW based engine, but having blown more than one VW in moments of exuberance (cars) I’d rather fly behind some one else’s handiwork (than my own) with more proven reliability…

Good luck with this years racin' season !! :)

Latest posts