• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thanksgiving flying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a couple of hours free yesterday, after the turkey was in the oven and the rest of the family was doing other things. 60°F, CAVU, near calm winds... as perfect a day for ultralight flying as you'd ever get in November in New England, so naturally I went to the airport. I was only surprised that nobody else had the same idea... I had the usually busy airport to myself, so I could play.

I wanted to burn off most of the car gas in my tank before filling with avgas for winter storage, so I spent the time in the pattern, just shooting landings... and with nobody else around to get in my way, I shut down my engine on downwind each time, deadsticking it onto a short bit of grass alongside the paved runway, rolling to a stop in silence with a big grin before yanking on the starter rope to taxi back and do it again. All in all a delightful interlude before the overeating we Americans are known for on this day of the year.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all!

-Dana

Back