• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Text Messaging Approach & Departure Procedures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

I've been wondering if something along this line will ever make it into General Aviation, that is, the approach/departure controller sending the information to the cockpit by text instead of voice. Seems the advantages would be many. Found this article from a few years ago:

https://phys.org/news/2016-09-air-traffic-shifting-text-messaging.html

Admittedly the few instructions for most day VFR flights are usually easy enough to remember and read back. Still, sometimes it's busy, bumpy, & difficult to hear with all the radio clutter and it seems texting the information into the cockpit would make life easier than trying to write down this information.

I don't fly often into towered fields but the more I venture out the more it becomes necessary to do so.

Perhaps this is as simple as an extremely accurate "talk to text" program (or app) using your smart phone to translate the message and hold it on the screen until you delete it ...

Curious,

Dale
N319WF

Back