• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Texas Gulf Coast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
I just got back from hauling my plane to the Texas gulf coast to enjoy the scenery there. I based at Aransas Pass (TFP) for a week, which is just north of Corpus Christi. Only one day was too breezy to fly, so I flew a lot. The first 3 pictures are of Port Aransas, which is a resort city on the barrier island. It really comes alive in the summer and spring breaks. I enjoyed flying low over the surf, waving at all the sun bathers. PA2-4

The next picture is of Corpus Christi, with the aircraft carrier tourist attraction in the foreground. I thought about flying under the bridge. CC2

The next 2 pictures are of Aransas Pass. AP1 McC4

The day that was too breezy, a C-172 got blown off the runway just after touching down at TFP in a 30 knot cross wind. The pilot was unhurt, but the plane was ruined after a prop strike and flipping over.

It is legal to land on the beach in some places. But I decided not to expose my plane to that much salt.

The scenery on this part of the coast is probably the best that is accessible for U/Ls. All the most scenic places were less than 25 miles from TFP. Most of the year, it is too cloudy, windy, hot, or rainy there. Late September or October seems to be the best time to visit in an U/L. Maybe next year a few of us can meet there.

Attachments

• PA3.jpg
    PA3.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,269
  • PA4.jpg
    PA4.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 514
  • CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 386
  • AP1.jpg
    AP1.jpg