• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Testing to establish Vne

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geosnooker2000

So according to 23.335 ( I believe), it's all very cut and dried when you are designing to establish a base.
Design Cruising Speed (Vc) = 33 * Sqrt (wing loading)
Design Dive Speed (Vd) = 1.4 * Vc
Never Exceed Speed (Vne) = 0.9 * Vd
Then it says to flight test to expand the envelope further.
So am I correct in assuming that to increase Vne, that you MUST test to find a Vd, and then multiply that by .9 to establish a new Vne?

Example: FAR calcs yield for a hypothetical -

@2200 max TOw
Vc = 32' span’* 4.5’ chord = 144 sf (wing loading = 15.28) Sqrt = 3.9
Vc = 33* 3.9
Vc = 129 knots (148mph)

Vd = 1.4* 129
Vd = 180.8 (208 mph)

Vne = 0.9 *180.8
Vne = 163 (187mph)

If one wanted to increase the Vc to 170mph, one MUST put the plane in a dive to 238mph during a flight test? I mean, I realize the E-AB world theoretically has no "must", but ... best practices?

Back