• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Templates tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workhorse

Hi there.

I finally managed to get a 1/4 scale model of the fuselage shape I want. And now the task is transfering the cutaway templates to paper and then the real ones. Easy. NOT!.

I figured two options. The first one was to have some epoxy impregnated cotton cord over a tin foil strip over every section.The second one was to make a papier mache mold (and experiment with this), saw it off and get the templates. As you can see in caption 1 it was a fail. Two layers had been dried in about three hours but I doubled the paper layers and it took three days to say, enough!.

molde.jpg

Ok, this might have been worked but my patience for this stuff is short. Then I remembered a tool like a hair comb.

08032011620.jpg08032011618.jpg08032011619.jpg

It's made with wooden skewers and blue foam. It is not as I figured like a press-and-go tool but an acupuncture method. First I insert one far away to sabilize the whole set. A second one which is the first one touching the model. When the conical point prevents holding the stick in the foam, I reverse them and carefully insert to get the proper shape. After that, you only need to transfer it to the paper.

Hope you find it useful,

Jorge

Back