Tell us what you are building!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jman, Feb 7, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 15, 2011 #41

jjbaker

jjbaker

jjbaker

:shock:

2. May 18, 2011 #42

craftsven

craftsven

craftsven

My two Girls.jpg first time out.jpg
    Turbo Prop C-FRGU

I just completed my 12th "One of a Kind"Experimental!
    ( I've successfully been using "Pazmanys Cookbook"for all of them)

I spent 3 months in the spring of 2007 to design her and building was started 2008, as we are spending the winters in Texas I can only build for 6 months per year. Also, she would have been completed earlier but I ran out of Mad Money.

Here's some data:
    A/C Gross weight 4400 lbs
    A/C empty weight 2100 bs
    Length 36 ft
    Wing span 42 ft
    Seats 8

Powered by a Walter M601D
    Propeller Avia V508D, 3- blade, 98"dia.
    Aircraft is now on Wipline 4500's

Testflying is to commence in the end of this month, if all the ice is off our lake.
    All my previous designs have been testflown on floats. We have a lakefront property
    at Setting Lake MB. The lake is 40 miles long and 2 miles wide, so it's perfect for testing floatplanes.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. May 22, 2011 #43

guicensoni

guicensoni

guicensoni

410.jpg I`m going to finish this Lazer 200.

4. May 27, 2011 #44

CADman

CADman

CADman

Actually, I'm not building... But I am designing. The current (and hopefully last) incarnation is a side-by-side two-seater. Think of a Gardan Supercab, with an all wood construction, covered in Dacron. Only the spar caps and maybe some other highly stressed bits in carbon. The engine is a converted motorcycle powerplant. Aerobatic (+6.5/-4G, including snap manoeuvres). Folding wing. I'm willing to sacrifice quite a bit of range and performance in exchange for that. :)

5. May 28, 2011 #45

flysouth

flysouth

flysouth

Doing an auto-engine conversion on a Grumman AA1B, using Chev V6 4.3 ltr engine - turning out to be a longer job than expected - ever heard that before?

See Growing a Grumman - AA1B with Chev V6 Motor for the whole catastrophe!

6. May 28, 2011 #46

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Couldn't find you among the crowd here.

7. Jun 4, 2011 #47

flynant

flynant

flynant

Hello there,
    You might know of, or have heard of the Steyr Puch motor. Its a flat( boxer) 2x cylinder engine. There are a few on You Tube. They were fitted to Fiat 500`s. I think they would do well in an aircraft. Also air cooled. Maybe just another option to think about. Would like to know if anyone has ever used one for an aircraft.

8. Aug 6, 2011 #48

brentbrown

brentbrown

brentbrown

I'm building a Twinstarr gyroplane and would like to build a UL gyro with a MZ202.

9. Sep 14, 2011 #49

Kage

Kage

Kage

Don't laugh to hard, I'm attempting a hoverboard with a trs 18 jet engine.

10. Sep 14, 2011 #50

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

From Kage," I'm attempting a hoverboard with a trs 18 jet engine. "

SOMEONE GET ORION IN HERE, STAT!

11. Sep 15, 2011 #51

taylorcraftbc65

taylorcraftbc65

taylorcraftbc65

I am at the cover stage of building a full scale, ultralight legal replica of the 1929 Aeronca C-2 Pellican. Below is a photo of it at my friend's place in Nunelly, Tennessee.
    A bunch of us got together on a Yahoo discussion that I started just for all of us to "flesh out" our ideas, and this is what resulted. It's planform is very true to the original, the fuselage is 4130 tubing, the wings are from a Challanger two ultralight, and are of 6061 aluminum "ladder" construction. It is powered by either a 42 HP, 125 pound, 84 cubic inch, flat four cylinder, four stroke, Continental Designed Army surplus Genset engine that has a 1,500 hour TBO.
    If you want an accutate engine layout, Continental also designed a 30 HP, 79 pound, 42 cubic inch, flat two cylinder, four stroke engine with a 1,500 hour TBO. Except for the crank, cam, magneto, and case, it uses exactly the same parts as the 84 cubic inch engine, only half of them.
    154.jpg 153.jpg

12. Sep 17, 2011 #52

JetFox

JetFox

JetFox

Hi Guys, im a newbie here. im from Malaysia and involved in builing a LSA aircraft called JetFox.. Need help from you guy with raw materials. do drop me a msg if any of u hv any question or infos for me.. thanks

13. Oct 27, 2011 #53

stevetosh

stevetosh

stevetosh

Wellcome JetFox......to my understanding this Jetfox was launched few months ago right? Here is a good place to learn alot and lots of folks out there to shear ideas and experience with you, myabe you can elaborate more on the type of materials you needed.

14. Dec 14, 2011 #54

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Hello all this is my project as it was last May Dihedral wing  and plane 012.jpg So you can see the nuts and bolts of the project. The Finished Airplane 002.jpg Here it is finished and may not yet seen the water. The Finished Airplane 009.jpg preparing the transport system. [video]http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/xx154/pjlucky/?action=view&current=TheFinishedAirplane020.mp4[/video] This is a link to one of the taxi tests

15. Dec 14, 2011 #55

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Please I welcome any comments I am as green as they get . Learning to fly an UL without any local instruction Is a real scary thing .My instruction comes by phone and e-mail from far away.
    It the plane had control issues and they came from the sponsons and the V-tail. Both are being changed [​IMG] here the new floats but unfinished not even sanded a solid foam core with a better shape and more control friendly on step.
    the new tail is currently under construction and feature an innovative rib construction. I am told foam ribs with aluminum cap strips have been discussed here. These foam ribs are a bit different in that they are channel capped. I am interested in discussing the ribs with anyone. [​IMG]this is the components of the new tail close up is the stabilator having a 3 ft chord and is a lift generating airfoil . This style of rib construction is proving to be very light and super strong for the weight ratio at 4 oz. these are enough structure to need only the marriage to the spar tube and the le an te cap skins standard TE form I create mine from 6061 .020 @ 2.5" chord lgth. similar to those sold by Aircraft Spruce. Expecting the new tail all to weigh less than the V-tail at 10#

Attached Files:

16. Jan 11, 2012 #56

DOWTONg

DOWTONg

DOWTONg

Good morning: I am a polymath who holds patents(then given to relevant organizations)on bio medical/mechanical devices. I have always wanted to try my hand at aircraft design, so with my large blackboard, piles of cardboard, foam core, I am up to my fourth model. Each gets larger and points out needs and not needed. My work ethic has been that if, a big, if I can model it up to around 3/4 scale, then, I can build it. It would definitely fall into the experimental class as I have not seen anything like it and there may be a good reason for that. Once I finish the fourth prototype, I will put it on site for member critiques. I very much like the attitude of this site and it is vastly interesting to see and hear of what others are doing. Regards, DOWTONg

17. Jan 11, 2012 #57

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Welcome DOWTONg. I look forward to seeing your project!

18. Jan 15, 2012 #58

wojtek

wojtek

wojtek

My first one was Wing-Ding Biplane,built 20 years ago.Now I build Curtiss Jenny JN-4, 2/3 scale,from original plans but with my modifications. _DSC0670.jpg _DSC0289.jpg

19. Jan 15, 2012 #59

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi,
    I am STILL sanding down the plug for the little Razorback. It is slowly becoming more true. I have found that it is better to put micro on in small amounts, than trying to true up a whole section. On initial application, the micro is nice and wet. Within a few minutes, however, it begins to thicken up, and the more I try to smooth it out with a bent plastic ruler, the worse it gets...

Duncan

20. Mar 16, 2012 #60

ai081929

ai081929

ai081929

Hi all,
    I'm new member here undergraduate engineering student.

first I have an 220CC engine and asked to design an UAV which suitable for this engine
    Until now I decided about the design to be similar to Piper J-3
    But since I'm not expert in airplanes I don't know about the length of it or even the wings
    If you can give me the estimation of this please.
    I also have a hand sketch of my design I can send it if needed.

Here is the attachment of the engine details.

Thanks in-advance.

2012-03-09 12.57.22.jpg 2012-03-09 12.57.38.jpg