Tell us what you are building!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Ava

Hi,

Does anyone know how the numbering system for Pietenpol plans work?

My friend bought a construction manual and three sets of plans from Andrew Pietenpol. One is for an Air Camper (which he and his brother built), one is an Air Camper Supplemental, and one is for a Sky Scout. The manual, and both sets of plans (but not the supplemental which is unnumbered) carry the name number. (Is it maybe a customer number?)

Thank You

TFF

I don’t know the Piet number system, but it is probably the identification number so if you have questions, they are not answering to a bootleg set of plans.

BelladonnaCiao

Hi all, I'm Bella.

I've just bought 1.75 old falcon ultralights. It's going to be a long project, but between them there are all the needed intact parts to build one safe airworthy falcon.

20220618_180804.jpg
Here she is loosely assembled, she probably won't be this assembled again for 6-8 months while I tear everything down, swap components over to the new fuselage shell, recover the wings (probably fisher method), replace the old rotax with a Polini, and a whole bunch of other tasks.

Her name is Kiki, I'm looking forward to getting her airborne hopefully by next spring.

Dennis DeFrange

Welcome aboard Kiki , one of my little Frenchie's name is KIKI . Have fun and be safe . You've landed in the right zone . 🐒

josephdfco

I've been struggling to make room in my condo basement (we rent) to finish a Minimax V-Max 1550. The fuselage and wing ribs are done, and to me the next logical steps would be to build the spars, install the ribs, the wing hardware, the ailerons, then maybe get an emmpenage kit from them for $500 to see what they actually offer (marked for cutting? Cut? Or, just a bunch of wood and some screws? If that's the case, I'd be better served by continuing as I did with the fuselage: build from scratch. I also need to get an engine block in decent shape, have it x-rayed etc, and build it up with all the appropriate aircraft parts. Hopefully by then I can overcome my wife's insane aversion to buying a halfway-decent RV and moving out to our 40 acres of land in Presidio County, TX, living in the RV, building a log cabin, and putting into motion some simple ideas for self-sufficiency and security. She doesn't like heat and bugs. I'm sick to death of the People's Republic of CT's politics, taxes, schools, and cold winters. I HATE the cold anymore!!

reo12

Hi all, I'm Bella.

I've just bought 1.75 old falcon ultralights. It's going to be a long project, but between them there are all the needed intact parts to build one safe airworthy falcon.

View attachment 126885
Here she is loosely assembled, she probably won't be this assembled again for 6-8 months while I tear everything down, swap components over to the new fuselage shell, recover the wings (probably fisher method), replace the old rotax with a Polini, and a whole bunch of other tasks.

Her name is Kiki, I'm looking forward to getting her airborne hopefully by next spring.
Best wishes for you to have success with getting one completed. Make sure you always have help with installing the wings - or a frame to support the wing tip at the proper height. It is very easy to damage the root of the wings when they touch each other.

Ava

My friends built a Pietenpol Air Camper in a little less than a year. They completed it's required flight testing a while back, and this morning I flew it in the beautiful summer sunshine here... practicing "turns about a point." It was practically complete before I became involved in it-- so my joining the effort only SET THEM BACK a teensy little bit :) .

The Air Camper is a very nice airplane for two... if those two are young and athletic-- especially whoever is riding up front... But with two on board, it lacks the ability to carry much else: like camping gear, for instance.

Airplane #2-- is currently two... count them ONE -- TWO! Two complete wing ribs and a third gluing in the jig. It will be an "A" powered Pietenpol Sky Scout with a nice little baggage compartment behind the pilots seat. Hopefully, we can have all the parts required to build a wing and the tail feathers completed before it gets all icy and snowy.

But, right now I am trying to get additional information on what may-- someday-- turn out to be airplane #3

I have plans for a GERE SPORT BIPLANE (from the 1933 'Modern Mechanix' FLYING MANUAL)

SPECIFICATIONS

Length overall ..........................16 ft
Span, upper wing ....................19 ft
Span, lower wing .....................18 ft
Chord, upper and lower wing ..36 in
Stagger ....................................17 In
Angle of incidence, upper ........0 deg
Angle of incidence, lower ........1 1/2 deg
Dihedral, upper ........................0 deg
Dihedral, lower ........................2 1/2 deg
Maximum speed,
--with Ford model A motor .......80 mph

gere.jpg bud-nosen-1933-gere-sport-biplane.jpg

Last edited:

Bill-Higdon

My friends built a Pietenpol Air Camper in a little less than a year. They completed it's required flight testing a while back, and this morning I flew it in the beautiful summer sunshine here... practicing "turns about a point." It was practically complete before I became involved in it-- so my joining the effort only SET THEM BACK a teensy little bit :) .

The Air Camper is a very nice airplane for two... if those two are young and athletic-- especially whoever is riding up front... But with two on board, it lacks the ability to carry much else: like camping gear, for instance.

Airplane #2-- is currently two... count them ONE -- TWO! Two complete wing ribs and a third gluing in the jig. It will be an "A" powered Pietenpol Sky Scout with a nice little baggage compartment behind the pilots seat. Hopefully, we can have all the parts required to build a wing and the tail feathers completed before it gets all icy and snowy.

But right now I am trying to get additional information on what may-- someday-- turn out to be airplane #3

I have plans for a GERE SPORT BIPLANE (from the 1933 'Modern Mechanix' FLYING MANUAL)

SPECIFICATIONS

Length overall ........................16 ft
Span, upper wing ...................19 ft
Span lower wing ....................18 ft
Chord, upper and lower wing 36 in
Stagger ..................................17 In
Angle of incidence, upper ......0 deg
Angle of incidence, lower ......1 1/2 deg
Dihedral, upper ......................0 deg
Dihedral, lower ......................2 1/2 deg
Maximum speed,
--with Ford model A motor .....80 mph

View attachment 126906 View attachment 126907
Robin Reid was involved in testing a Gere Sport that was powered by a Subaru conversion, the Subie never generated sufficient power to fly the plane, it's now being repowered. I'll ask what it's status is when I get a chance.

• Love
Reactions: Ava

josephdfco

You have a smart wife. She is a keeper. Do what she says and run, don't walk. Change is always hard at first, but you will be glad you did.
Yes I do! If it weren't for her, I'd be dead several times over-literally. She's both the beauty AND the brains of this outfit!
Some of my favorites of her, all when in her 40s and 50s. One is a composite of her standing on either side of the judge at a fitness competition, where she took 2nd place at 43.

Attachments

• IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0902140804.jpg
    0902140804.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Image__18_11_1_.jpg
    Image__18_11_1_.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20111216-IMG_1983(4)[1].jpg
    20111216-IMG_1983(4)[1].jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 279077608_1142694616523722_7904652466953491698_n-2[1].jpg
    279077608_1142694616523722_7904652466953491698_n-2[1].jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1179_-_Copy[1].jpg
    IMG_1179_-_Copy[1].jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Image_(10)[1].jpg
    Image_(10)[1].jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00130~3[1].JPG
    DSC00130~3[1].JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Painnt_210518221941(2)~3[1].jpg
    Painnt_210518221941(2)~3[1].jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 9
  • SB2_3494 - Copy.jpg
    SB2_3494 - Copy.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 9

Bill-Higdon

Hi all, I'm Bella.

View attachment 126885

Welcome to the group, I looked at a Falcon that was in Albany several years ago it was very rough and not worth the money last I heard it was over in Idaho somewhere

Bill-Higdon

Robin Reid was involved in testing a Gere Sport that was powered by a Subaru conversion, the Subie never generated sufficient power to fly the plane, it's now being repowered. I'll ask what it's status is when I get a chance.
Sadly it's changed hands several time & slipped into a crack somewhere.