Tell us what you are building!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Doran Jaffas

Supporting Member
Thanks for the kind words. Mike did post a picture of mine (rudder pedal) about two years ago when I'd just started. He has a link to the Google Photo album where I post my pictures, but not sure if he necessarily still follows it. In fact, he may have disabled it due to too-frequent notifications as my build progresses. I presume this since I can no longer access his Google Photo based page directly (404 error). However, he's very cordial and encouraging, and will still answer occasional questions via email if they're sufficiently vague (he's understandably lawsuit averse). His main focus these days is the design and testing of his latest creation, the Bluebird.

What a nicely done airplane! I don't know much about these but what I've seen of them I truly like. Your paint job on the bottom made me laugh out loud! Very nicely done in every way.

Gary Hogue

Yes it is interesting watching his Bluebird design/build/testing, but something about the Bloop 4 BiPlane look! I love the "eyes" on your bloop
Being seen is an important safety consideration, so a high contrast color scheme makes sense. Do people feel instinctively when they're being watched; a hard-wired prey/predator thing? Some believe that moths with eye patterns on their markings use this deception to deter birds. Since our fear of large, predatory birds probably disappeared with the pterodactyl, I figured a lion's eyes would be more double-take inducing. The marking on the horizontal stabilizer is supposed to resemble a nose, but depending on the view angle, probably looks more like a smile.

allonsye

Hi all,

I just realized this thread exists. I'm building a Thatcher CX4. The build log is here: Connor's Thatcher CX4 Project
I have the wings mostly done. I bought a salvaged Sonex (935EK), and I'm trying to use as many of the parts from it as possible. Unfortunately, the engine is beyond economical repair. I'd like to consider using the AeroMomentum 1.0, so I'm on the mailing list with Mark, but I have a lot of work to do to make sure everything works out. It looks great on paper, and I can't wait to talk to him in real life and get a look at a real example. The CX4 plans are acceptable for the wing and empennage. They're a bit lacking for the fuselage structure.

On the side, I'm keeping track of the changes I think should be made as I learn the hard way. I'd like to build a second plane after this one. Changes would include a Riblett GA30A-415 airfoil, CNCed tooling, etc. I have done some initial sizing. The reserved website for this is Warbler Aircraft, but it will be a long time before any of that gets anywhere. It's not a CX4, but it's not an entirely new design since it's heavily based on what I'm learning while building the CX4. It also serves to somewhat verify some of the CX4's structure (for my own peace of mind) since I'm drawing everything in SolidWorks.

Since I'm currently in RI for work for the next few months, I am not actively working on the CX4, which is back in TX. Instead, I'm crunching numbers for the Warbler and drawing in SW when I have the time.

Thank you so much to all of you who have already been so incredibly helpful.

-Connor

Connor,
Where are you on the CX? I saw on Thatcher boards you might be selling. What did you decide on the Aeromomentum - get any quotes from them?

I'm still working on my Thatcher in VA. Just some wing work left on airframe. Engine is yet to be built - have a GP 2180 in pieces. I was looking at buying a Soneri project to use the built Revmaster that comes with it on the CX.

Paul in VA

jesseblenn

This is Jesse in Costa Rica, but was born in Kansas in 1956. I am in the design process for an ultralight (by CR rules) STOL plane with many innovations I have thought of over the years, plus good ideas already in use or researched. These include canard configuration, leading edge slats, large external airfoil flaps and flaperons. The plane will be very small, with inspiration from the Cri Cri Cricket, Quickie Q1, Mignet Flying Flea, and Custer Channel Wing. I expect a later 2 seater with staggered seating. I have experience restoring several older homebuilts and small planes, in Alabama 20 years ago, and have an FAA Airframe license. I have the biggest homebuilt aircraft book and magazine collection in Costa Rica. The goal is to use locally available materials where possible. I won’t share info yet because I expect to patent some features. I expect to make one or more RC models first, and maybe start construction in 2 years.

pylon500

Supporting Member
So, back in 2016, a couple of my students were talking about building replica warbirds.
They wanted to buy a coupe of T-51 kits, until they saw the price, once the kit was landed here in Australia.
They toyed briefly with the Flying Legends Tucano, but alas, it cost about the same. I also pointed out that here in Australia, the RAAF uses, had the Pilatus PC-9, and that many years ago I started drawings for a small single set ultralight version;
PC66%.jpg
We decided to scale it up to around 80% and build a two seater. In fact we decided to build FOUR of them!
SamplePlans001.jpg
Six years, and many late nights later, we have a bunch of tail surfaces;
tailgroups.png
The outer wing panels;
wings_wings_wings.png
Some fuel tanks (more assembly required);
fueltanks.png
And our first full wing going together;
wing#1.png
So we're not working to any finish dates (it'll happen when it happens), and I've got a Rotax 914 to fly the prototype, but the plan is to finish the other three with these new Yamaha's that are becoming popular.
If all goes well, will re-engine the prototype after flight testing.
Postscript;
We are doing our best not to become too disheartened by the fact that Flying Legends 'Squadron Leader Aircraft' have just revealed a scaled Beechcraft Texan 2, at Aero Friedrichshafen 2022. :eek:

Kiwi_

I found this sweet little Luton Minor languishing in a barn in Sussex in the early nineties when I was being detained at HM's pleasure (in the RAF) and rebuilt it ...
g-azpv.jpg
By bizarre coincidence, all of the paint is identical to that used on RAF aircraft. Can't imagine how that happened. I even went to night school at a local technical college to learn welding and machining, alas my employer had a habit of getting involved in wars so my attendance was haphazard at best. It is powered by a Lycoming 0-145 which puts it at the upper end of the weight & balance spectrum, but that wasn't a problem for a young fit RAF pilot.

Following a subsequent career in the airlines and a taste for ale left over from service days, the new and improved me would struggle to meet the allowable MAUW without cutting off an arm, leg or head so I have a VW in the shed awaiting conversion. Be damned if I'm giving up beer. Here she is loaded on a trailer in Oxford prior to being shipped to her new home in New Zealand:

Leaving Oxford.JPG

In the same shipping container to 'God's Chosen Country' was my wife's Taylor Titch:
modified canopy.jpg

... which she purchased after beginning construction of a Taylor Titch from plans:

Fuselage 012.jpg

The working principle of "what's hers is hers and what's mine is ours" is clearly demonstrated in this photo which I title "Why I have no clamps or workbench"

Fuselage 010.jpg

Not to be outdone, when in the UK I took the opportunity to purchase another partially built Taylor Titch project (fuselage and wings complete) to finish myself, making a grand total of three Taylor Titches in the family. Naturally I have no space to do anything but I am allowed to build a new workshop if I want. I am also allowed to work on my boat outside over the winter when not repairing cars in the driveway - but that's another story and unrelated to aviation.

nestofdragons

Towable ground effect vehicle. May electrify if it works out ok.
Hello Kavin, i have been following your Youtubes. Your problem with making the D-tube can be solved with your hot wire. I saw this technique in the workshop of a music instrument maker who was making wooden ribs. He wanted to use a wooden cap without making it wet. So he made several cuts halfway the wood and used a tiny piece at the bottom to make sure it stayed very rigid.
How can you use this technique in your project. Simply use a long hotwire and make cuts each half inch at the location of the bends which cause you problems. Just go down and back up. No need to make them wide. If you see that you are still not able to make the bend without force, just place a extra cut halfway each part. If you can make the bend, but the material gets less rigid, do it again on another part with more spacing between the cuts.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the build-up of your WIG.

Kavin

Hello Kavin, i have been following your Youtubes. Your problem with making the D-tube can be solved with your hot wire. I saw this technique in the workshop of a music instrument maker who was making wooden ribs. He wanted to use a wooden cap without making it wet. So he made several cuts halfway the wood and used a tiny piece at the bottom to make sure it stayed very rigid.
How can you use this technique in your project. Simply use a long hotwire and make cuts each half inch at the location of the bends which cause you problems. Just go down and back up. No need to make them wide. If you see that you are still not able to make the bend without force, just place a extra cut halfway each part. If you can make the bend, but the material gets less rigid, do it again on another part with more spacing between the cuts.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the build-up of your WIG.
The problem was to get any benefit I had to go nearly the whole way through the foam, and then the backing would just split. Probably should have put that in the video....

raytol

Supporting Member
You do lovely work,
So, back in 2016, a couple of my students were talking about building replica warbirds.
They wanted to buy a coupe of T-51 kits, until they saw the price, once the kit was landed here in Australia.
They toyed briefly with the Flying Legends Tucano, but alas, it cost about the same. I also pointed out that here in Australia, the RAAF uses, had the Pilatus PC-9, and that many years ago I started drawings for a small single set ultralight version;
View attachment 125219
We decided to scale it up to around 80% and build a two seater. In fact we decided to build FOUR of them!
View attachment 125220
Six years, and many late nights later, we have a bunch of tail surfaces;
View attachment 125221
The outer wing panels;
View attachment 125222
Some fuel tanks (more assembly required);
View attachment 125223
And our first full wing going together;
View attachment 125224
So we're not working to any finish dates (it'll happen when it happens), and I've got a Rotax 914 to fly the prototype, but the plan is to finish the other three with these new Yamaha's that are becoming popular.
If all goes well, will re-engine the prototype after flight testing.
Postscript;
We are doing our best not to become too disheartened by the fact that Flying Legends 'Squadron Leader Aircraft' have just revealed a scaled Beechcraft Texan 2, at Aero Friedrichshafen 2022. :eek:
You do lovely work Arthur.

n45bm

I found this sweet little Luton Minor languishing in a barn in Sussex in the early nineties when I was being detained at HM's pleasure (in the RAF) and rebuilt it ...
View attachment 125264
By bizarre coincidence, all of the paint is identical to that used on RAF aircraft. Can't imagine how that happened. I even went to night school at a local technical college to learn welding and machining, alas my employer had a habit of getting involved in wars so my attendance was haphazard at best. It is powered by a Lycoming 0-145 which puts it at the upper end of the weight & balance spectrum, but that wasn't a problem for a young fit RAF pilot.

Following a subsequent career in the airlines and a taste for ale left over from service days, the new and improved me would struggle to meet the allowable MAUW without cutting off an arm, leg or head so I have a VW in the shed awaiting conversion. Be damned if I'm giving up beer. Here she is loaded on a trailer in Oxford prior to being shipped to her new home in New Zealand:

View attachment 125265

In the same shipping container to 'God's Chosen Country' was my wife's Taylor Titch:
View attachment 125266

... which she purchased after beginning construction of a Taylor Titch from plans:

View attachment 125267

The working principle of "what's hers is hers and what's mine is ours" is clearly demonstrated in this photo which I title "Why I have no clamps or workbench"

View attachment 125268

Not to be outdone, when in the UK I took the opportunity to purchase another partially built Taylor Titch project (fuselage and wings complete) to finish myself, making a grand total of three Taylor Titches in the family. Naturally I have no space to do anything but I am allowed to build a new workshop if I want. I am also allowed to work on my boat outside over the winter when not repairing cars in the driveway - but that's another story and unrelated to aviation.
[/QUOTE
The Taylor Titch and the Corby Starlet... I already have a Starlet and 99% of the metal parts and the plans for the Titch. I'm being pulled hard to continue it, and trying hard to justify it, but I've got to get my Arion Lightning in the air first. So many planes...so little time. Sigh...

Attachments

• 20220214_122453 (1).jpg
    20220214_122453 (1).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220214_123835.jpg
    20220214_123835.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 19
I don't think I've chimed in here yet, but I'm working on this one-off roadable amphibian. Maybe two seats tandem. LSA. This is just a concept model. I've got some work to do on it yet. Trying to get a pole barn in this summer so I'll have a place to do real building stuff.
Pondhopper desktop.JPG

Wiseacre Dave

Greetings. I've just begun a TEAM Mini-Max V1500 (for a 4-cylinder VW conversion). I started with the wing ribs, then will tackle the tail. Presently, I'm cutting gussets and rib members.

Attachments

• Members and gussets in place 1.JPG
    Members and gussets in place 1.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Members and gussets in place 2.JPG
    Members and gussets in place 2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 9

Sraight'nlevel

I don't think I've chimed in here yet, but I'm working on this one-off roadable amphibian. Maybe two seats tandem. LSA. This is just a concept model. I've got some work to do on it yet. Trying to get a pole barn in this summer so I'll have a place to do real building stuff.
View attachment 125805
Any idea of the propulsion on it ?

----

My plane is still on the drawing board, but work space is now all set up.

I don't have real numbers to work with yet but I'm hoping a Rotax 912 100 hp will get the job done. Again, no idea of propeller. Have toyed with the idea of a shrouded propeller but I don't think the gain would be worth the weight penalty.